What veggies or fruits do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Rare that's a really interesting way to feed fish. Thanks for the photos too, what are those yellow fish you have called? They are beautiful!

No problem! That's a labidochromis caeruleus- Electric Yellow or also know as a Yellow Lab cichlid

My Oranda enjoy zucchini and the occasional fruits like pineapple and lemons.
I don't cook the zucc, I just chop in into slivers and mash it with my fingers. The soft center is much easier for them to eat, I don't feed them the skin at all since it's very tough.
You can also cut half-circle slices and make some starter-cut to help them get bites, they'll eat the center out on their own and leave the rind.
I do the same thing with the pineapple, smashing it with my finger before dropping it in. If you give them rings, they'll eat the soft 'meat' of the outside and leave the harder ring in the middle for easy clean-up.
And for lemon (or oranges too), I slice it into slivers and leave it on the peel, make sure to stretch it open so the inside skin is broken (they only like the pulp inside anyway) and they like to pick at the skin, too!

We're new to feeding our fish fresh fruits and veggies and I look forward to see what other people are doing :)

Will feeding your fish garlic make your water smell funny? I fed some to my fish earlier and now my tank smells weird? I think like garlic lol.

Will feeding your fish garlic make your water smell funny? I fed some to my fish earlier and now my tank smells weird? I think like garlic lol.

I use nls h2o stable wafers and I get that smell for a while, but it does dissipate on its own. I sometime soak freeze dried food in garlic guard- same story. The fish go nuts for it though. Garlic is supposed to be a good appetite stimulant for sick or fussy fish.

The garlic smells when it's all done and mixed. Even sometimes when i'm about to feed them, but I never smell it in the water....

You can try pretty well any fruit or veg cichlids love them especially.

I have tried mango, cucumber, blueberries, strawberries, spinach, sweet potato, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, some garlic mixed into there food, and dried fruits. There are so many options!

I tried cucumber as a safe starting point today and the only one that ate any was the one carnivore. I tried mashing it up some and a few others took interest then. Might have to try blanching and softer produce. Great thread!

My goldfish and loaches love blueberries. I squeeze it out of the shell, like a pea, then cut it in half and soften it with my fingers (I dont squish it to mush, just so it will break apart easier for them) and they go crazy!
I also feed oranges, peas, zuccini, cucumber, spinach, and banana.

Back
Top Bottom