What was you first fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a thread to help newbies like me! Telling them that everyone started with a fish tank and lost a few fish and maybe stopped for a while. So everyone tell me about your fisrt fish tank and some stories behind it please.

My first fish tank was tiny around 1 Gal i put a goldfish in it (please no comment i was 7) unfortunatly it died ='( and there was nothing in the tank so my grandma while i was at school bought some apple snails and put them in my tank and i loved them! that was my first fish tank

I had a betta in a bowl when I was a kid, don't really remember how that turned out though. As far as my first newbie tank, my 36 gal bow front. I had the gaudy pirate ship and all kinds of stuff fish stores really hope ppl will buy. I didn't have a clue about cycling but heard that danios are the best for new tanks so I went with those. Some how they survived till this day. The neons I put in didn't make it and some others. Just do your research and ask questions!!!!

I got a 10G and a black ghost knife....lol. I joined this forum 2 days after I got home with him. THANKFULLY. That is not the whole start of the story, but I have to be up in 6 hours LOL, night night! :)

my first tank was a 55g that about 12 hours after filling up, had 18 or so comet goldfish... i couldnt figure out why the kept dying and i had to go to petsmart every other day and get a few more. then i joined here, learned alot more than i imagined, and have been what i consider successful ever since

I think my first tank was a 20g when I was like 6 years old given to me by a friend of my dad. He taught me all about the cycle, the inch per gallon rule (which was the golden rule back then) how to clean the tank without disturbing to good bacteria, and which fish should be fine with which fish. I also had a 2g bowl with tadpoles. (yeah my dad was PO'ed when they matured while I was at summer camp *lol*) Every day after school I would hit the library (yeah, waaaaaaaaaaay before internet) and read what I could find about the hobby. Now look at me, 14 tanks later, I'm hopelessly addicted because of those first few guppies and 1 male betta 32 years ago. ;)

My first tank was a tiny 2.5 gallon which I started with 3 danios. I'm surprised they made it. A year later I got a 5g and added 2 glowlight tetras. another stupid mistake. Finally a year after that, I moved them up to a 10g where I know have 6 glowlights and 2 danios hehehe.

I can't remember my VERY first tank, as we always had random tanks around the house right from when I was born. First I guess we kept tadpoles in a bowl until they turned into frogs. Then we had a HUGE tank, like 100 gallons or something, with a pair of turtles in it, which my mom laboured over constantly :)

I think MY very first tank was one of those little hexagon ones, about 1 gallon. I had two guppies and an albino cory in there LOL They actually lived for quite some time. i put the try in a jar and wrapped a heating pad around it.

I also had a 20 gallon with a comet in there. No filter or anything. Just tank, gravel, and a fish. Sometimes the water got so dirty you could just barely make out the fish. And then I would clean out the tank completely every time, scrubbing it down with vinegar till it shone LMAO and I was so proud of my handiwork (I was about 8) I figured I was the best fish owner ever! And of course, the fish grew and remained alive and healthy for 8 years until it jumped out of the bowl while I was cleaning the tank. I grabbed him and tossed him back into the water where he floated upside down for a few days, but eventually went back to normal. He died a few months after that though. I wish I still had that 20 but it broke somehwere along the way.

I've had several small tanks on and off since then but this is the first time around I've actually learned about cycling and water parameters.

My first tank was actually a bowl just like the one Arnold had on "Different strokes" guess I just told my age huh..lol. Shortly after my fish died from his diet of crumbled up corn flakes (I was young).

Ok LOL.
Well my parents had this 75G when I was younger, and I always thought they got rid of it until one day last summer. My younger brother drug it out and caught about 100 baby catfish and toted water up from the river to fill it and put the babies in.
Well, I was the one cutting up earthworms and feeding them everyday, (mind you this tank was outside with NOTHING in it but fish), and it was getting close to winter so I decided I was going to get a tank so I could bring them inside so they wouldn't freeze. I went to the city to get a tank, and saw the knife fish. I decided I would put the baby catfish back in the river and use the new tank for myself. I brought Elvis home, filled the tank with spring water I bought at the store, and released all the babies back in the river when my brother wasn't home. He was not very happy with me when he found out!!! :D
Then I find out that Elvis needs a bigger tank, so I took the empty 75, cleaned and resealed it, filled it up, heated it, and by then I knew about the cycle, but it would be better for Elvis to be in the 75 rather than the 10 he was in. I stuck Elvis in the big tank, and then was like, "Well, I can't just let the cycling 10G go unclycled, so I got some more fish for the 10 a few days later, along with a betta and another tank LOL. Did a TON of pwc's for the next 3 weeks, and then went to check out the other pet stores because that's just something I USED to do for fun. (I can't do that anymore because I always come home with more animals) Well, I found more bettas, so I had to get more tanks. So now I have 4 tanks running in my house. LOLOLOL! :D

my first tank was 1gl just for me and my husband to have a few little fish then bought a sloth killed then all off with fur alge did'nt relize it was ill when we got it , then left it alone sterllized the tank an pebbles then i won a little one at the local fair so started again. but then me and my husband parted sort of just seperate houses he got a ten gal tank and four new fish, then he died so i was left with his legacy,4 fish 10gal tank plus my fair won fish so poped him in with the others and they excepted him and they bonded cause at the weekend they saved him an his brother i did loose one of my husbands fish don't know why it was a few years ago and maybe i had'nt got so attached to them at that time to know what to do to try and save him i call them all my boys i don't even know thier sex i don't think i could cope with babies anyway. so i have charlie,pancho,jimmy,an malcolm.

My first tank was a 10g and it had 3 mollys, a African clawed frog, a african dwarf frog, and some hatchet fish. Before that my dad/family always had pets/tanks around the house.

Well, My aquarium story starts when I was about nine. My sister and I would always walk into town to to the pet store there and look non stop at the fish. We loved them. So one day I'm in Wal Mart with her and our father. I convinced him to buy me a weird shaped tank. It was rectangular but the front jutted out like the front of a house. I had a betta named Patriot (he was red white and blue) a couple platys and a few other fish that never made it. I didn't know jack about water chemistry back then. One day it leaked. So my mom bought me a real 10g long. I was happy. But ended up giving up on it soon after. Then got into reptiles. FAIL!!! Now almost ten years later, my girlfriend convinced me to buy fish for my bed room, and we are flourishing in the aqua hobby! These fish are very sentimental to me. It's like our own little world. She's an artist, and I'm a musician. But we're both aquarists :p

Growing up we had the occasional betta. My sister once won two goldfish from the fair and she ended up getting a 10 g that those two lived in for YEARS. One eventually died off and the other got huge. We joked it was big enough to fry up.

Ive always loved going to the marine aquariums and while I felt that owning a SW one would be too much trouble and $$$, I decided to go FW. I bought a 20g a few years back, went with brownish gravel and matching rock decor pieces. This lasted for about a year or 2 until the final fish member died off.

I tore the tank down, replaced the rock with pool filter sand(love this stuff) updated the decor with the greek/rome ruins you find at petco/petsmart, some plants, and restocked. This lasted a few more years until I just lost interest in it and I gave away the few fish that were in there, and tore down the tank and gave it to my dad's GF.

My mom had goldfish in a 30g long for the longest time. She loved those fancy goldfish(i think all goldfish, cept koi, are ugly) and had her tank running for years until all her fish got sick and died over the course of a few months. One survived and stayed by its self for a few months and finally died. She was upset and gave the tank to me since she didnt want to deal with it.

This past month I wanted to do another aquarium and I wanted to put up the 30gal. I found a guy selling a stand off craigslist, and when I got there, he just gave it to me. It was in rough shape, he had stripped it and it had gained surface rust. I took it home, after about 30min of trying to fit it in my car...., and sanded and primed it. Note the rustoleum rust colored primer, soaks up the paint you decide to paint over it :)

I moved the stand upstairs, and moved the 30g onto it and noticed it was way too small. The stand was made for 40g+. A wooden board fixed the problem, but when I went to get the hood, filters, and heather, I realized the filter and hood were too nasty to be cleaned(I was too lazy) and I was missing the heater since she had goldfish she didnt need one. I went to petco to purchase the stuff I needed. Cost $110. My friend found a 55g kit for $170. It was a no brainer. I bought that instead, it fits great on my stand.

I went back to my favorite substrate and my ruins. I bought a new ruin for it since Im missing my old colleseum, and added more plants. Its not done, because I feel I need some taller plants. I currently have 1 Betta, 3 Orange/Red Platys, 10 neons, 2 Dalmation Mollies, 1 male and 2 female guppies ad 2 mystery snails.

@Jason.... Ive come to believe that if you buy fish at the LFS, you need to be prepared for stuff to die. I typically buy multiples of a fish, just in case one ends up being sick, or doesnt take the transition well. I cant guarentee this is the right way to handle it, or if my beliefs are true, but it works for me. Dont get discouraged :)

Back
Top Bottom