What was your first aquarium and what do you have now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it says it in the title. What was your very first tank, what was it stcoked with and what do you have now (biggest tank, most accomplished, tank your most proud of...) and what is it stocked with?
My first tank was way back when and it was a 10 gallon with 2 angels, pleco named batman, and some tetras...of course I was about 7 but heck I still remember. Now I have a 10 gallon with 2 10 gallon power filters and 2 goldfish, 5 gallon betta bow, and my master 20 gallon tall with 5 cories and an albino bristle nose pleco that I am still searching for a center piece fish for (suggestions at the bottom of your post maybe??)
I say master because it is my small room so it seems huge

My first tank was about 3 months ago and its a 10 gallon with 10 guppies in it...a little overstocked but I do water changes often beings its so simple with that small of a tank they are very happy.

I then got very into the hobby and my birthday was comming up sooo I decided to start my real tank. I now have a 75 Gallon Hi-Tech Planted tank. my stock is 10 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Pearl Gouramies (3 later), 2x Pair of German Blue Rams, 1x Pair of Electric Blue Rams, 7x Otos. I have a Fluval 405 Filter, Co2 with Inline atomic diffuser, 3x 54watt T5HO Fixture.

My first tank was a 10 gallon community my dad got for me when I was two or three. :>
It's still up and running as my Indian biotope tank.

My first tank ever was a twenty gallon tank I got for my sixth birthday with a molly, a silver swordtail and an orange platy.
My first tank I kept by myself was a five gallon that started out with a platy and two honey gouramis...it gets pretty crazy after that.

A ten gallon when I was a kid with Gouramis and neons. Then, a couple years ago my daughter won a goldfish at the local fair. She put it in a fishbowl and that was sad. I bought it a ten gallon. It had one eye and the kids named it 'Tuna the one eyed fish'. It died, of course, being a local fair fish. I cleaned and re-cycled the tank and bought a betta. It lived over two years and then it died too. My son wanted more fish but he wanted things that can't live in ten gallons so I recently bought a 37 gallon that has 8 assorted danios, 7 bloodfin tetras, 3 cories, and the new addition yesterday my GBR who has done a fine job of getting used to his new home today.

10g with Neon Tetra's and Gourami's.

Now I have a 55g Oscar tank and 40g malawi cichlid.

my FIRST tank was a 10 gallon with one blue crayfish. He lived for 2 years.
This is where it all began! I learned all the basics of fish-keeping and rules of the hobby.

My very first tank was when I was around 5 yrs old was 10g with goldfish.
My trophy tank now is my 75g ( wish I'd gone bigger) with my TO that I rescued. I have a total now of 7 tanks soon to be 8 when I get this used 55g up and running, it's been a lot of work! Wondering if it was worth the $20 I paid for it @ a yard sale!
But I didn't get back into the hobby really until about 5 yrs ago when my daughter was 5 and we were @ the lfs and she begged me for a Betta, so I bought the Betta and a 5g bow front and had the betta up until about 3 months ago may he "rainbow" RIP! ( that's what my daughter named him after the book Rainbow Fish that she loved for me to read to her) :)

My very first tank was when I was around 5 yrs old was 10g with goldfish.
My trophy tank now is my 75g ( wish I'd gone bigger) with my TO that I rescued. I have a total now of 7 tanks soon to be 8 when I get this used 55g up and running, it's been a lot of work! Wondering if it was worth the $20 I paid for it @ a yard sale!
But I didn't get back into the hobby really until about 5 yrs ago when my daughter was 5 and we were @ the lfs and she begged me for a Betta, so I bought the Betta and a 5g bow front and had the betta up until about 3 months ago may he "rainbow" RIP! ( that's what my daughter named him after the book Rainbow Fish that she loved for me to read to her) :)

Hahaha great story and wow $20 for a 55 gal wow they gave you a steep price on that thing!

10g w/ 5 Blackskirt Tetras, some red swordtails, a pleco and a hi-finned banded shark. (I definitely know better now)

Current:
56g with 3 Hoplo cats, 7 Rosy barbs + 1 sneaky Odessa, 2 Spotted Climbing Perch and 1 Guenther's mouthbrooder who may be getting rehomed soon

10g plant farm that I want to do something more interesting with (Multies?)

4g with a betta :)
now have
225g South American tank with; 50cm BGK, Discus pair, Apisto Macmasteri "super red" pair, GBR pair, L397 + L183 + L333 plecos, Hoplo catfish, 7 White star tetras, African butterfly fish (not South American lol)
55g with a Green Terror, Berneyi catfish, Paratilapia polleni
still have the betta plus 2 more lol :)

Well.. I started with a bowl! It had four of the tiniest fish ever who were about to be left on a counter to dry out and die as the LFS became bankrupt. They only lived about three days and were already I'll from poor water quality in the shop but I was so happy when I looked at them swimming in their bowl.
This inspired me so two weeks ago I bought a 30g tank. It is now in the process of cycling and I am looking to get plecs or angels :)

When my brother and I finally talked our parents into letting us get one, she only let us get one gallon tanks... we didn't know better then, and relied on petsmart for advice. They told us we could keep a betta in each. Well we didn't know about cycling either. So the fish would die after like 6 months, and we just went back and got another. But we got bored of bettas. So under petsmart's "advice", I got two glofish (eeek!) For my tank, and my brother got a cory catfish. Well after about a year, we got bored of not being able to put many species or numbers of fish in there, so we got a ten gallon. Then I joined this forum. So its better now. :) I also got a new five gallon tank. I am going to get a 36 gallon tank soon

First tank was a 10 gallon witha common pleco and one or 2 neons, guppies and other common fish. Now I have a 20 gallon with livebearers. Soon to have a 56 gallon colomn community.

My first tank was a 20L that was extremely overstocked from time to time. I recall having a black moor, sailfin pleco, and some sort of large gourami for a few years, then I ended up putting about a dozen crayfish in it for a while.

Stopped keeping fish for several years, then came back to it and now I have around 35 or so tanks running at the moment and a stack of empty ones.

My first tank was a disaster. It was a 20g tall. I started it with to many fish and way to much inexperience! 2 Chinese algae eaters, 2 jack Dempsey, 1 albino tiger oscar, 1 tiger oscar. This lasted about 2 weeks, thanks petsmart! Now it has been a few months and I have a 55gallon and still have the ATO and one JD in it(both males which seem to get along). I still have the 20 gallon with the CAE's in it. The others have passed on to the great lake in the sky.

My first tank was a disaster. It was a 20g tall. I started it with to many fish and way to much inexperience! 2 Chinese algae eaters, 2 jack Dempsey, 1 albino tiger oscar, 1 tiger oscar. This lasted about 2 weeks, thanks petsmart! Now it has been a few months and I have a 55gallon and still have the ATO and one JD in it(both males which seem to get along). I still have the 20 gallon with the CAE's in it. The others have passed on to the great lake in the sky.

Everybodys first tank was a disaster!!!

First aquarium was a 29 gallon kit. Had a betta and a dalmation molly as first fish after a fishless cycle. The molly killed my betta, so back to the LFS it went. Had a few different dwarf gourami's but gave up on them, they either got dropsy or just died. And of course had guppies, BN pleco, upsidedown cats, and cories. That started MTS....use to have 10 tanks.....smallest was 5 gallon and the largest was a 75 gallon, all freshwater community fish and the bigger tanks cichlids.

Right now I have a 40 gallon saltwater, 20 gallon long that will be freshwater and a 6 gallon with a three year old male betta.

My first tank was a 3.5 gallon with two oranda goldfish... :/
now i have a 15 gallon with 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Endler's Livebearers, 1 Red Honey Gourami, 4 Panda Cories, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 2 Amano Shrimp and 2 Red Cherry Shrimp:)

Back
Top Bottom