What will I need for a 125g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the opportunity to buy a used 125g tank and stand. This will be a freshwater tank. I have 29g and 55g freshwater tanks. I'm just not sure what I'll need for such a large tank, ie, filtration, best lighting, etc. I'm a little concerned about the weight. I have a manufactured home with a steel frame. My son seems to think it's no problem. :fish1:

I have the opportunity to buy a used 125g tank and stand. This will be a freshwater tank. I have 29g and 55g freshwater tanks. I'm just not sure what I'll need for such a large tank, ie, filtration, best lighting, etc. I'm a little concerned about the weight. I have a manufactured home with a steel frame. My son seems to think it's no problem. :fish1:

125 gal is no problem for weight.

I think when you get to 180+ is when it needs to be on a ground floor. But if you are worried about it just make it on the ground floor.

My 125 runs on 2 aquaclear 110 hob filters, an aquaclear 70 powerhead, and an air-driven hydrosponge filter. I used quite a bit of mopani wood on top of the sand, so I wanted strong circulation and the sponge filter to help pick up debris.
I don't bother with live plants in that tank aside from duckweed and Salvinia that has overgrown other tanks. Between the 4 severums and 5 silver dollars anything green is quickly eaten. I simply hung a regular 4' shop light over the tank, and have an additional single bulb 4' strip light straddling the tops of the 2 aquaclear hob filters. Provides plenty of light to see the fish even w/out the back light strip, wouldn't be enough to support anything other than the floating plants though.

You can probably contact the manufacturer and ask. Your weight should be just north of 1,000 lbs. Depending on what stand you have, it could be a substantial point load.

Back
Top Bottom