What would you do with these tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I feel like a flake since last you knew, I was going to keep my 75gal tank. :oops:

So, the day after I bought a 35gal tank (36"x12"x18??), I had an offer to trade that finally came through. It's a gorgeous tank, but almost useless for what I would like: a nice planted gourami/killi/tetra tank. So, now I have 2 smaller tanks, a 35 and this 44 gal that's 24"x24"x36".

Should I keep the 35 & sell the 44 or just store the 44 for now until I decide what to do with it? What kind of fish would do well in such an odd shaped tank? Should I even attempt live plants, or just stick with some nice fake ones? I've always like silver dollars, but they are hell on live plants. Will they outgrow the 44?

For setting up the 35, I have the sand left over from the 75gal. Would it make an acceptable base substrate with something more plant friendly on top, or should I go with Eco or another substrate specifically for plants?

TIA for your patience & advice!

You could keep the 44 and put a couple of angelfish and smaller schools of fish in it. I can't ever seem to leave a tank empty so you are getting a tad biased opinion here.

Not a plant expert but I have PFS and it has been working well. Many members use Eco and other plant substrates.

I would also keep the 44. As Zagz said, angels would appreciate the height. You could keep them with tetras and some bottom dwellers (corys, maybe some otos for algae control especially if you're going planted). I've never kept silver dollars because of the plant issue, so I'll leave that to someone else. The thing to keep in mind is that you may need to stock more lightly than in a standard 44 gal to account for the decreased surface area.

I would think you could still do live plants, you may just find that you need a stronger light to grow the same plants as you would in a shorter tank.

Check out the stickies in the planted forum. The substrate needs depend in part on what plants you want to grow and how much light. That said, even then, many people have successful planted tanks in gravel or sand. You certainly don't need to buy an expensive substrate (plus they run out of nutrients in a year and your back to having essentially expensive gravel). People say there's no point in paying for Eco unless you're using at least half Eco in the tank.

OK, how about the correct measurements? :oops:

The "35" is actually a standard 29gal at 30"l x 12"w x 18" or 19"d. The 44 is 20"l x 18"w x 30"d.

I think I'm going to store the 44gal for now. I'm going to do a planted in the 29gal, using the potting soil/gravel low maintenance technique. May do a livebearer community in my 20gal & ponder the possibilities of the 44. Thanks, all!

Back
Top Bottom