What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have my 5 gallon puffer tank and 30 gallon mixed.
We decided to put a betta in with the pea puffers cause we had some guppies but they ended up dying catching something from the lfs.
Anyway it appears our beta is not social at all and aggressively chases the puffers and we think even took off ones side fin

I'm debating on moving the puffers to my highly planted 30 but afraid the stress of the change may freak them and stress them to death. Puffers are not an easy find around here and I really like them
I figure there are tons of hiding places and an abundance of trumpet snails they can hunt.
The only fish I worry about going after them is my blue acara who I think killed my yoyo loaches and maybe my female krib but I doubt that one.

What would you guys do? Once they're in the 30 they're in there because I'll never find them and netting anything in there is impossible!

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it were me I would house the betta in his own tank. Imo 3 to 5g is sufficient and plastic tank kits aren't that much. Then I would leave the puffers where they are and not add them to the big tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep the puffers alone or you are going to keep hitting problems.

Caleb

Now are you saying the puffer will cause problems or be bullied? These puffers are remarkably docile. Whenever I mention my puffers people are surprised that I kept guppys with them with zero issues.
I originally had 2 bb gobie and one guppy in the tank with the two puffers with no problems. Then I got a female guppy and it brought something back that wiped out everything but the puffs. I them decided to get the betta but man he's a jerk
Maybe I'll rehome him and get guppys again. Another tank is a no go

I would move them to the 30. As long as you have a good acclimation, you should be fine. Plus, the water conditions can't be that different. They'll enjoy the extra space to explore. I swear, mine are the meanest puffs around. They still go at it in the 5.5, even though there's space for everyone. Lucky you. What is your stock in the 30?

Edit: Just saw that you ahem a blue acara. Don't do it, get rid of the betta. You can't put puffs and an acara together and expect to have a fine tank. I think the acara would beat up the puffs.

Now are you saying the puffer will cause problems or be bullied? These puffers are remarkably docile. Whenever I mention my puffers people are surprised that I kept guppys with them with zero issues.
I originally had 2 bb gobie and one guppy in the tank with the two puffers with no problems. Then I got a female guppy and it brought something back that wiped out everything but the puffs. I them decided to get the betta but man he's a jerk
Maybe I'll rehome him and get guppys again. Another tank is a no go

From what I have read either the puffer is the bully or are being bullied. That's why I said keeping them alone is the easiest solution.

Caleb

Thanks guys have some deciding to do

Back
Top Bottom