what's a bio bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

autumn4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Exactly what the title says. What is a bio bag? Is it better than carbon? Pros and cons? ?

Bio bags from aquaclear are tube shaped things in a mesh back that hold beneficial bacteria. The tube shapes provide more surface for that bacteria. You need these in aquaclear filters.

Actually just to be clear. Bio Bags are made by Tetra and are filter pads with different media.

bio bag - Search Results

Media bags are used when you want to add your own media like carbon or some type of nitrate absorb, phoguard, purigen etc etc etc.

Filter Media Bags

Of course there may be other brands out there but that's pretty much it.

I'm talking about the tetra ones. Right now I just have carbon filters in it, should I switch to bio bags or just stay with carbon or both? What is in a bio bag?

What are the AC ones called? I thought they were called bio bags too.

Haha that's my point there may other brands out there. If you google AquaClear will call there media bags bio bags but other site call it bio max or bio balls. The OP needs to clear up exactly what it is they want to know. Some people get media bags which hold different types of media with bio bags that already have the media in it or even Tetra bio bags aka filters with media in them.

I'm trying to find the best way to filter my 50 g tank. I'm obviously new to this so I'm just trying to figure it all out. I don't want to use carbon because it's a waste of money and there's no point unless to remove meds. Should I just use plain filters or whatever a bio bag?

I hear people talking about making their own, should I do that?

I'm trying to find the best way to filter my 50 g tank. I'm obviously new to this so I'm just trying to figure it all out. I don't want to use carbon because it's a waste of money and there's no point unless to remove meds. Should I just use plain filters or whatever a bio bag?

I hear people talking about making their own, should I do that?

You most definitely make your own filter pads or use poly fill. I just bought a HUGE bad and it will problem last me a whole year!

That's what ive been thinking about doing. What brand of poly fill did you buy? Do I just stuff it in there behind the bio mesh? You seem to know your stuff haha thank you for all your help!

I have an aquaclear filter, too. I use the sponge that comes with it for mechanical filtration (the first and most basic form of filtration) followed by the mesh bag that came with it, whatever you want to call it. I do sometimes use the carbon filtration when I want to remove anything. The point is to make sure you have the clay noodles or bio balls in the filter. Which one you have doesn't matter too much. The point is to make sure you have one. Occasional GENTLE rinsing of the bio filtration is needed. Also, rinse out the sponge about once a month. Hope this helps.

This is my setup. 1st AC110 has sponge, purigen, bio max, media bag with crushed coral and chemi pure elite.

image-99777660.jpg

2nd AC110 has sponge, purigen, poly fill, bio max and chemi pure elite.

image-387198279.jpg

*NOTE* I put my chemi pure elite in the left hand side in the little space by the intake tube. I also took out that grey piece that is suppose to hold things or whatever it's for, I found it useless and I get more room without it.

This is the poly fill. This will last me almost a year if I go easy lol.

image-1747198678.jpg

Hope this helps

What should I put in a media bag for a freshwater tank? Do i have to have a media bag?

What should I put in a media bag for a freshwater tank? Do i have to have a media bag?

Nope don't need one. Just run the sponge, some poly fill and your bio rings. You could tuck a small bag of purigen in there if ya wanted to. It won't hurt anything and only help. I love these filters because well.... Sky's the limit.

Sounds great! Thanks again for all your help! You definitely have made this easy for me. :)

So are people not putting carbon in the emperor 400's? I bought my own filters for the front but is there something else I can use instead of the carbon for the rear slot?

Back
Top Bottom