What's growing from my Java?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaGirl28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sound's catchy, like a game show... lol.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and fairly new to planted tanks. This is the first time I've started my own totally from scratch and everything has been going well for, oh about the last 8-10 weeks (not including time pre-fish/plants).

Since shortly after installation the Java have been reproducing like crazy, resulting in roots all over the tank. Last week however I noticed something else... Something that looked light gray, almost clear, growing from a leaf. After a week of arguing with my roommate, over what these things are that are suddenly popping up all over, I've decided to turn to the vast knowledge of the interwebs for guidance.

Please tell me... What do you think the Gray, branch-looking growths are?

In the first pic there are also some short stubby green growths, that don't seem like they have anything to do with Java reproduction either...?

Attachments

• DSC_0559.jpg
    DSC_0559.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0567.jpg
    DSC_0567.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0563.jpg
    DSC_0563.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0561.jpg
    DSC_0561.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 78
The green lumps in the first pic are baby java ferns they will soon become bigger and float off once they come off you can plant them

The grey stuff?? It might be some sort of algae I don't know

I think I've discovered that the gray branch-like algae is staghorn algae... It's definitely not the roots, those are brown. And the green bumps aren't baby java ferns, I've been watching babies grow like crazy and those aren't them... Thanks for trying people :)

Sent from my mobile.

Back
Top Bottom