whats on my glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
there are these little light colored pin size dots arranged in what appears to be some sort of pattern in small splotches here and there. they are light colored, and look almost like air bubbles that have stuck to the glass. they are not "slimy" per say, it's kinda a rough texture and took some fingernail action to remove. is this coralline algae, or cyano, or somekind of weird alien egg cluster thingie thats gonna absorb through my skin and take over my brain.....

Attachments

• fish_tank_058_194.jpg
    fish_tank_058_194.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 23
  • fish_tank_060_629.jpg
    fish_tank_060_629.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks to me like egg masses, possibly by snails depending on what sp. you have in your tank :)

I agree it looks like seaslug or snail eggs. Any nudibraches or other slugs in the tank?

mazilla said:
or some kind of weird alien egg cluster thingie thats gonna absorb through my skin and take over my brain.....
8O Better break out the tin foil, it may already be too late :lol:

no slugs or nubi-branch(whatever that is), i have a few nassarius, a turbo or three, and 2 bumble bee snails. all the lr i have has come from pre-established tanks that were broken down at the lfs.maybe it's a hitchhiker? it's in four spots throughout the tank. it was not there last night either. i clean the glass everyday compulsively, i cant stand the streaks.

Well, they aren't nassarius eggs so I'd have to go with turbos or bumblebee snail eggs.

by the way, i googled nudibranch before anybody has to correct my dumb ass. so...are snail eggs bad? i'm gonna wipe them off anyways, but do i have to worry about an infestation now?

No, they aren't bad. Just shows you have "happy" snails. More than likely they will just be food for other animals in the tank so scraping them down is no big deal. I wouldn't worry about an infestation. Very few marine snail reproduce successfully in the home aquarium.

Fluff said:
No, they aren't bad. Just shows you have "happy" snails. More than likely they will just be food for other animals in the tank so scraping them down is no big deal. I wouldn't worry about an infestation. Very few marine snail reproduce successfully in the home aquarium.

it' funny, i just got off the phone with the lfs and they said the same thing almost word for word. so i'm gonna leave them and watch what happens, thats a big part of the reason i got this tank, to watch. oh, i forgot to mention the margarhita(spelling) snails. lfs says it's probably them. thanks

Looks kind of like snail eggs.

+++EDIT+++
Wow, I started posting this at close to 5 and got busy, lol, now look at all the responses. I don't think they are nassis eggs and I have never seen my bumblebees lay eggs.

+++EDIT AGAIN+++
Being that close to your ph intake, they probably will be sucked in, if your fish don't snack on them first....I would just leave them in there, for FREE snacks...

I am 100% sure they are nassarius eggs. My grilfriend has them all over her tank and watched a nassarius deposit them row by row onto the glass.

Nassarius snails lay eggs in small pods, not in rows. Sure your girlfriend doesn't have cerith snails? Ceriths lay in rows, could be what is pictured above.

My money is on the bumble bee or turbo, like mentioned.

I am DragonForce's Girlfriend. My tank is fairly new, Only been set up since October. And that is the exact same thing I watched my nassarius put on the glass last week. They cant be cerith snail eggs, I only have 2 nassarius' and an electric blue leg hermit, and I watched a nassaruis put those on the glass for a couple hours (lol I know the life of a student is sooo exciting, I swear it was interesting)...

I dont know maybe they're not eggs, they came out from its head end of the snail, not the tail end. But then again maybe different species of Nassarius' lay different eggs and/or egg patterns?

NinaStarr,
I'm not sure what snails you have, maybe a photo of them and your eggs in another post would be helpful. Don't want this post to get to far off of the OP's question.

Halfway down this page are some decent photos of nassarius egg capsules.

http://jwsweb.home.mchsi.com/salt6.html

this link has pics of cerith snail eggs. Ceriths are another sandbed dwelling snail that is a so maybe...

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/CerithEggs.jpg

And this really long link is to a photo of a nudibranch egg clutch. Some species will lay on the glass...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/Eggs.Mgiangrasso.jpg/180px-Eggs.Mgiangrasso.jpg

Either way, chances of survival are slim and I dont' believe the OP should be overly concerned about a mad takeover.

Thanks Fluff, here is a picture of my snails, and the same stuff on the glass as the in the OP's picture. Sorry its not as good as the OP's picture, I used to have like 3-4 patches of it, now the only remining cluster is in the back bottom corner which is hard to get a shot of, but I swear it is the same pattern etc as the OP's picture.

I apologise for any misunderstanding but, Im not trying to go off topic, all Im trying to say is that my tank has the exact same thing, and that I have seen it being deposited by my snails, and that the only snails I have are the nassarius snails pictured.

Attachments

• yeaaaaa_206.jpg
    yeaaaaa_206.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 32
  • yeaaaa2_205.jpg
    yeaaaa2_205.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20
That's interesting. Maybe the nassarius were eating the eggs instead of laying them I don't know. I've been told they don't attack and eat but I watched mine attack and eat a small ribbon worm so anything is possible. My nassarius are the same type as yours but lay eggs in pods on the glass and rocks. Is that a snail in the first pic on the back glass of the tank? Looks really dark? Is all your rock dry rock with no chance of hitchhikers? Weird.

Theres no chance of hitchhikers on my rocks. They were taken from my boyfriend's mantis tank when his mantis died of shell disease and were boiled before being brought to my apartment because they had aptasia all over them...

LOL and i dont think they were eating the eggs because they were definatly appearing not disappearing.

Finally, thats not a snail in the background of the first pic, its a suction cup holding on the temperature gage to the side of the glass.

NinaStarr said:
Theres no chance of hitchhikers on my rocks. They were taken from my boyfriend's mantis tank when his mantis died of shell disease and were boiled before being brought to my apartment because they had aptasia all over them...

LOL and i dont think they were eating the eggs because they were definatly appearing not disappearing.

Finally, thats not a snail in the background of the first pic, its a suction cup holding on the temperature gage to the side of the glass.

I guess yours never read the instruction manual or are just free spirits. Little shell burning rock huggers. :)
Or are a very simular but different species, I don't know. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom