whats the best way to lower your ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFingers

Aquarium Advice Regular
whats the best way to lower your ph and keep it lower if your tap water is 7 to 7.5.

if i have to do partial water changes every week on a 55g.

Is it just to much work?

Why do you want to lower the pH? A tap level of 7 or even 7.5 is good. In fact, I know people who are envious that you have that low of a level. :D

I think clown loaches would do fine in your pH. But, if you do want to lower the safest way is driftwood and peat moss.

Clown loaches perfer softer acidic water for breeding. Not likely in an aquarium. The best way to lower your ph is Co2. Its hard to regulate your ph with peat or driftwood. They work but you can never figure out when the driftwood or peat will stop leaching tannins.

Driftwood doesn't really lower the pH much though, unless maybe you put a really large piece in a very small tank. The tannins can be eliminated by AC. Most people get driftwood for the nice look in a tank and/or fish that need it.
I don't think it's a good thing to use Co2 injection if the tank doesn't have plants?
Also, full grown clown loaches need a larger tank than a 55g. According to FishBase the tank should be 5ft long. :?

Your fish will be fine in their current pH. No need to try and lower it. When you start messing with the pH and cause fluctuations, then it can be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom