what's the worst that could happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a hypothetical question. What is the worst that could happen if a tank was over stocked?

Fish cannibalism and disease and smelly water. Some species can be overstocked but you need adequate filtration with it.

So as long as someone keeps up with cleaning and testing water periodically and feeding them enough the fish could still last a few years

Depends on what the cause of the over stocking is.

You 'can' partially deal with the nitrate problem by doing large water changes every day or so.

You can't stop stunting as a result of putting too large fish in a too small tank.

You can't stop territorial disputes (Evrn in passive species) as a result of putting too many fish in a tank.

Water quality, disease, aggression, stressed fish - look horrible. As mentioned before a lot of South African Cichlid keepers would overstock, carefully selecting fish for the tank to help with aggression but would usually be well over filtered and do major water changes.
Overstocking can lead to an uphill struggle and a lot of work if done wrongly, shouldn't be done with New World Cichlid.

Overstocked Tank

This is a hypothetical question. What is the worst that could happen if a tank was over stocked?

Hello g...

The water chemistry could "go south" for one. Ammonia an nitrites would rise to the point all your fish would die. If you perform large, frequent water changes like removing and replacing half the water in the tank every week, that would keep the water properties stable.

B

I learned this lesson the hard way, overstocked a tank and killed everything in it. I was doing 50% wc twice a week but still happened. Save yourself the headache and cash, understock and overfilter.

I understand the rule of thumb to be an inch for each gallon of water but is there any wiggle room? Like let's say I have a 60 gallon tank, can I have fish that grow 70 inches total? 80 inches total? Also if there is a tank that has all low and mid level swimmers would it be ok to get a top level swimmer?

Chris7495 said:
I learned this lesson the hard way, overstocked a tank and killed everything in it. I was doing 50% wc twice a week but still happened. Save yourself the headache and cash, understock and overfilter.

How overstock was your tank? How any fish, what type of fish, and how big a tank?

I have learned that the goal is not to get as many fish as you can in a tank, but to provide the best water quality for the fish you have so they can live longer and happier. This lightbulb went on for me after 2 years of trying to max out my stock and losing fish all the time.

How overstock was your tank? How any fish, what type of fish, and how big a tank?

Tell us your tank size and what you intend to stock it with and we'll be able to give you much more detailed advice. You don't have to listen to us but at least you'll know what you're getting in to and can prepare for it.

Well I have a 55 gallon with
1 gold gurami
1 rainbow shark
1 African leaf
1 African cat
3 angels
1 black ghost knife

Right now all of them are babies

I know the bgk will need a bigger tank in a few years but I don't need to worry about it now. I am probably at my full capacity and will have to wait on the African butterfly fish. Also if anyone knows what plants go well with all those fish please let me know, I'm getting sick of the fake plants

Well I have a 55 gallon with
1 gold gurami
1 rainbow shark
1 African leaf
1 African cat
3 angels
1 black ghost knife

Right now all of them are babies

I know the bgk will need a bigger tank in a few years but I don't need to worry about it now. I am probably at my full capacity and will have to wait on the African butterfly fish. Also if anyone knows what plants go well with all those fish please let me know, I'm getting sick of the fake plants

Anubias growing on driftwood is Great for the Angels and Black Ghost knife!

Bubble_B0y said:
Anubias growing on driftwood is Great for the Angels and Black Ghost knife!

Do you have any pics? And can I use any type of wood or any place I can buy the wood? And how to I get it to grow on it?

Swords, Vallisneria, Java Fern, Hairgrass - all require very little expertise in aquatic plants.

Borderlesscott said:
Swords, Vallisneria, Java Fern, Hairgrass - all require very little expertise in aquatic plants.

What kind of expertise are we talking? Like just regular maintenance? Like trimming and getting rid of dead leaves

You can get media filter to remove just ammonia. I've never tried it.

The main problem you'll have with overstocking is water quality. So, a filter that removes ammonia should help keep the nitrite level in check. I do use specialized filter media and my ammonia and nitrite hasn't registered since I began using it. Nitrates will be high most likely. As food food waste. with enough fish, feeding to much may not cause additional problems.

Based on you fish list, you are not overstocked right now, but once those fish star growing, you will be.

I had a 36 gallon bowfront, sand heavily planted tank. I had a 7 angels quarter size, 2 double fin fancy plecos, 4 Cory cats, 2 swordtails, 3 mollies, 6 neon tetras, and 5 cherry barbs. Way too much even though I had a filter for a 55 gallon tank. Won't make a mistake like that again, learned my lesson.

Chris7495 said:
I had a 36 gallon bowfront, sand heavily planted tank. I had a 7 angels quarter size, 2 double fin fancy plecos, 4 Cory cats, 2 swordtails, 3 mollies, 6 neon tetras, and 5 cherry barbs. Way too much even though I had a filter for a 55 gallon tank. Won't make a mistake like that again, learned my lesson.

Pretty common story sadly, my first tank was overstocked something shocking. I also didn't understand that extra filtration doesn't at all solve overstocking :(

Back
Top Bottom