What's up with my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a 15 gallon Fluval Flex for my daughter about 12 days ago. Used 20lb EcoComplete substrate, which is supposed to have bacteria in it, as well as API Quick Start (and used stress coat), which also has bacteria, to try to speed up the cycle. There are live java ferns and marimo balls in the aquarium to help also, as well as a couple decorations.

Added 4 small guppies last Wed. as our starter fish, so 8 days ago. Added more Quick Start with them as bottle advises. Have been a little psycho about testing the water, testing at least daily, sometimes twice a day. Never got detectable ammonia. Last Sunday I got detectable nitrites, between .25 and .5 (probably .35ish if I had to guess by color) on API master test kit. Did a 10% water change with more Quick Start and Stress Coat, everything went back to 0 on test results. Since then, no detectable levels of anything. I'd have thought I'd be seeing nitrite again by now, or maybe even nitrates, so I'm wondering what's going on. It seems weird that I had nitrites 4 days after adding fish, changed 10%, and 4 days later have nothing detectable. I've also used Tetra test strips and get 0 on them.

Is it possible that all the bacteria I've added were already enough to manage the current bioload? The gravel is supposedly already seeded, but the filter is totally brand new. How long do I keep waiting and testing before we add another 1-2 small fish?

Thanks so much for your help! This is my first tank and I'm really trying to not mess up.

Hello nan...

This cycling process you've started sounds complicated. Here are the steps for establishing a fish tank. Maybe you can incorporate these into your process.

You set up the tank, fill it and add a floating plant. Allow the tank to run for a few days to settle the water chemistry and water temperature. Add four small fish for every 10 gallons of water. Feed the fish a little every day or two. You remove and replace a third of the water twice a week for three weeks to grow the bacteria. After three weeks, you change half the water every week for as long as you keep the tank. This routine will allow you to remove the pollutants well before there's a build up. If you want to add a few more small fish, you can. Just increase the amount of the weekly water change. The only chemical you use is the standard water treatment.

B

Back
Top Bottom