What's with these wimpy bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Every time there is the slightest change in my (fishless) cycling 10 gal. tank, the ammonia eaters go right on with the job, but the nitrobacters (?) just wimp out and don't keep up with the nitrites. Twice I thought I was cycled, but after a water change and adding a few new plants, they're wimping out. Again. What's up?
Thanks! :banghead:

Hi. Ammonia to nitrite bacteria form easier, faster and stronger than nitrite to nitrate.
Also 1ppm ammonia is converted to approx 3ppm nitrite so the nitrite to nitrate bacteria have 3 times as much work to do.
Put these two together and it's obvious why the second stage of nitrification takes longer to establish.
Once your ammonia to nitrate bacteria established then don't add too much ammonia, just up to 2ppm very 3-4 days will keep that bacteria alive whist not overloading the second stage bacteria.
Once both stage bacteria are established you may notice that the ammonia is converted to nitrate in a smooth continuum and that a nitrite reading is not seen. This has often happened to me post-cycling.
Keep the faith ?.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

That explains it very well!

Now that the symphony set is over and I have a life again, I wanted to thank you, ScottJudd, for giving me the details about the second stage bacteria. I did not know that I was flooding them with nitrites. I've lightened up on the ammonia to give them a break, and we'll see by the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom