What's wrong with my betta?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leslie Labastida

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!! ^_^
I need to know what I can do to help my betta heal up its fins. His fins are not fully like they should be and now his fins are starting to lose its color. He only gets up to take a breath and comes right back down. Everything started when I put him in a 3 gallon tank with 2 females. The gallon had a small filter with a bubbler. I think that could be the problem because he got stress with all the movement of the bubbles. And my second thought is that he just chased the ladies to much.
When I moved him into the hospital tank ( which is a one gallon tank) he got all stuff with food bc I think I feed him to much dried bloodworms. So I gave him a green pea and he ate it all. So should I buy a variety of food for him? But one thing is that he only eats that instead of pellets or flakes. And I might buy some dried frozen brine shrimp.

Hello and welcome to AA!
A few things jump out at me. First off male and female bettas should never be kept in the same tank. Females can be but it needs to be a 10g or larger tank with 6+ females to spread out the aggression. The minimum tank size for one betta with no tank mates is 2.5g but 5g is better. They also need a heater set at 80F because they are from a warm region of the world.
Do you know what cycling is?
Can you test your tank water?
It sounds like your betta is suffering from fin rot. Fin rot is often brought on by stress and poor water quality. First thing you need to do is a 50% water change using a water conditioner. Try to make the new water close to the same temperature of the tank.
Can you post a picture of his fins?
Please read this:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater AquariumAquarium Advice

I don't know how to post a picture on the thread but I can download it to my profile though if that will work. There blurry but you can see his body. I don't know what cycling is but i'll check and I can check the ph of the water since thats the only thing I have.

Here is my betta

Attachments

• DSC01439.jpg
    DSC01439.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01435.jpg
    DSC01435.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01434.jpg
    DSC01434.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 59
It looks like he's got fin rot. It can usually be cured with lots if clean water. It's best not to change all the water at once IMO. Try 50% followed by 50% again 10 or so minutes later. Doing it that way avoids massive swings in water conditions that can be stressful.
It would be best to get yourself a liquid test kit then you will know exactly what the water conditions are. Did you read the article I linked?

I read your link and took some notes of what I need to buy. My first need is to get a heater and get some softer plants with a little hiding place to rest. Oh did u see that little black spot on him? Is it normal because Ive seen it ever since I adopted him. Plus now I know that to much dried bloodworms make him bloated.

Back
Top Bottom