What's wrong with my Red Tail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jomcd26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My RTS is acting very strange. He is usually very active chasing other fish around the tank and hanging out with the clown loaches. He seems to be very weird the last few days but today I have woken up and he is lying vertical up the filter barely moving. I thought he was dead until I could see he is still breathing. He is a year old and usually very healthy. Nothing different has been done to the tank. Any ideas... I really don't want to lose him?

He is now "standing up" on his tail on the bottom of the bank. Keeps going up for air then sinking back to the bottom until his tail hits the bottom. He is not going horizontal and if he does its upside down.

Sounds like swim bladder disease. I think the treatment is feeding peas... try googling it and see if it sounds right...

Yes Peas seem to be the most common solution on google. Just not sure if he would eat them. The other solution is putting him in holding tank and giving him medication. Only thing is that the only other tank I have has a pair of breeding angels that have just laid eggs and they are like piranha,s at the moment. I guess I can try to see if he will eat peas and just wait. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom