whats wrong with my tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tetras mouth looks like its been picked out and it looks like it skin is like coming off. I'm sorry, its hard to explain and hope the pic shows well

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110627_214627.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110627_214627.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 137
Idk but id take him out of the tank if other fish are in there, put him in a quarintine tank, as it could be bacterial, and spread..bettr safe than sorry

I had a mexican sailfin molly who got the same thing. I think its mouth rot.

What causes it? And how can I prevent it from happening

Bad water conditions, bad fish stock (is the fish new, from fish store, take em back if so) that's about it really, those two factors can ruine your tank overnight

Well my nitrates are high but I'm working on that. And my other fish are fine, I just got rid of the sick one

High Nitrates will cause your fish to become stressed. In turn lowering the fishes immune system effectiveness responding to bacteria or fungus. Many fish illnesses live in the aquarium all the time, but the fishes immune system can handle them when it is healthy.

do lots of PWC to get your Nitrates down and slowly increase the temp of your tank. The increased temp will make the bacteria's etc life cycle speed up. Adding salt may help as well as it will prevent some types of bacteria etc from hydrating it's self properly and will die of "thurst".

Most effective thing is the PWC as good water fixes lots of things and is the best preventative maintenance.

Yeah I did a water change yesterday And was gonna do one this morning but something...unexpected happen. I'll do a filter maintenance too, my aqueon is way overdue but until then it'll have to wait I'm afraid:/

When you say your nitrates are high, what are you reading? What are you using to test your water (strips, liquid reagent)?

If they are below 40ppm I wouldn't chalk this one up to nitrates just yet. Are any of your other fish showing similar symptoms?

He said he's using test strips and has a liquid kit on the way and last time he measured his nitrates were at 40 and he says his other fish are completely healthy

If it is fluffy and cotton-like it could be columnaris. If it is thread-like it could be a fungus. Either way I would try to QT and treat with kanacyn first. Then maracyn and maracyn II, if the kanacyn doesn't help. They will cover gram +/- bacterial infections.

It looked like if its been nipped at. Like you know how you get a busted lip? Like that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom