Whats wrong with my tiger barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
He's less colorful than the others and has a flat belly. I'll try to get a picture when I can. Anyone know what's wrong? He's still eating btw.

Need photos. How many gallon is your tank and the stocking? Water parameters?

30g Long
6 tiger barbs
3 upside down cats
1 bristle nose pleco

Levels are:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
10-20 nitrates

Sorry that was the best photo I could get.

Attachments

• image-4131341305.jpg
    image-4131341305.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 106
His stomach is really just thin and straight almost. Like not the usual silhouette of a tiger barb.

So his belly looks pinched? What does his poo look like? His color looks good and fins look healthy. When did this change in his body occur?

He started looking like this a few days ago. He still eats but his poo is clear with very little splotches of brown. Could it be a parasite?

He started looking like this a few days ago. He still eats but his poo is clear with very little splotches of brown. Could it be a parasite?

It sounds like flagellates parasite with the white poo. You can treat in-tank after a massive water change of 80% or more, and vacuum your substrate. You will need Metro which you can buy cheaply at Kensfish:

Metronidazole Powder

Raise temps to 89, and treat for 10 to 14 days, changing 50% of the water and redosing 100% as the drug loses all potency after 8 hours.

After treatment, do another massive water change and keep an eye on the ammonia levels, as Metro can knock back your bio filter (from my experience).

I suggest your run a UV a few weeks after treatment to keep pathogens at bay. A 15W should do.

Could I move him to a quarantine tank and treat him there or should I treat the reg. tank just in case? Thanks for the help btw!

Could I move him to a quarantine tank and treat him there or should I treat the reg. tank just in case? Thanks for the help btw!

The parasite is in the tank and in all your fish. Your barb is the only one exhibiting the disease. Treat your whole tank for this case, just do the water change and vacuum before treatment, up the temps to 89 degrees and change 50% of water every day. It's a long haul but should work.

Back
Top Bottom