Whats your favorite filtration system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
You can say the brand as well but I mean like I've only been using carbon filters because that's what my Aqueon comes with

I'm trying to think outside the box for a filtration system for my 40 gallon that I'm getting next season. Also do you think I should try under gravel or standard stick on the wall?

Aqua clea is always popular. An uncommon one that I've heard fairly good things about is fusion though I haven't tried it myself. I don't tend to hear good things about under gravel just concerning efficiency. Esp w/ larger tanks I think can sited filters are considered best. Fluval is top notch.

Well, I personally haven't had any real problems with the simpler systems. I have undergravel systems that have been up and going for years with no problems, I know most people hate them, but I find them to be cheap, fry safe, indestructible. I find them completly adequate with very little upkeep (I'm talking vacum a lil every few months, and you don't have to tear them down). If you use proper airflow, gravel size and proper gravel depth, they are amazing. I LOVE sponge filters. Love love love them. Again cheap, fry safe, no replaceable parts needed. My breeder/quarantine tanks have sponges.
I've had HOB filters but I found them to be a pain. You have to change cartridges (or recharge them) adjust flow rates.... Noisy. Fish get sucked into the intake tubes.... The really expensive canister filters are nice on reall large systems (several hundred gallons) but on smaller scale tanks they are simply not cost effective in my book. Too complicated to be easy to clean/change. The parts are expensive, and media needs changed too frequently. If I had canister filters with all my tanks I would be constantly cleaning tanks (and spending hundreds a year on media) Not enjoying my tanks. Instead I just have a few air pumps ;). My weekly maintenance is quick and simple. 45 mins to an hour for multiple tanks. My experience comes from 20+ years of fish keeping. I am somewhat "old school" but I say "if it ain't broke, don't fiddle with it". The only real problems I ever had were when I tried to "change". My mother had 40-45 tanks in our house while I was growing up (literally every surface that could hold a tank, did) She bred fish for several local pet stores. As I got older we both did. I have since moved to an isolated area with mom and pop petstores and have continued to breed certain cichlids, live bearers, and tetras.

Fr breeding, standard filtration is not recommended. A good hob filter did not need media replacement anymore than a sponge filter does. Monthly replacement of carbon cartridges is pointless. Carbon itself is expensive and unnecessary. Many filters come with. Just don't use the carbon and replace it with something like filter floss.

I have homemade wet-dry trickle filters on everything from my pond to 20gal. longs and have never had issues. :)

I think I may have been misunderstood. My intent was not to "bash" any particular type. And by canister filters I'm not talking about "hang on back" filters, I'm talking about the big bad boys. They do need replacement media besides just floss. HOB filters are ok, and mainstream, but I feel they leave too much waste in the gravel. More vacuuming than I wanna do.
To each their own.
I have never had to replace sponges... I have a few that are 10+ years. (oh except the one the cat shredded)
As for not needing filtration in a breeding tanks.... Why not? The fish are isolated in a tank for awhile.... And I grow the fry in the "breeding tank" (not trying to be argumentative, kinda asking for a clarification) I really love sponges those are the easiest. Especially in breeding tanks. You can "hide" them in a corner with plants... If you feel it's "ugly"... As for the comment about "fry safe" (on undergravels and sponges) I'm sure we have all had oopsies and had babies in display tanks. I just prefer everything fry safe :)

Teddytedra said:
Well, I personally haven't had any real problems with the simpler systems. I have undergravel systems that have been up and going for years with no problems, I know most people hate them, but I find them to be cheap, fry safe, indestructible. I find them completly adequate with very little upkeep (I'm talking vacum a lil every few months, and you don't have to tear them down). If you use proper airflow, gravel size and proper gravel depth, they are amazing. I LOVE sponge filters. Love love love them. Again cheap, fry safe, no replaceable parts needed. My breeder/quarantine tanks have sponges.
I've had HOB filters but I found them to be a pain. You have to change cartridges (or recharge them) adjust flow rates.... Noisy. Fish get sucked into the intake tubes.... The really expensive canister filters are nice on reall large systems (several hundred gallons) but on smaller scale tanks they are simply not cost effective in my book. Too complicated to be easy to clean/change. The parts are expensive, and media needs changed too frequently. If I had canister filters with all my tanks I would be constantly cleaning tanks (and spending hundreds a year on media) Not enjoying my tanks. Instead I just have a few air pumps ;). My weekly maintenance is quick and simple. 45 mins to an hour for multiple tanks. My experience comes from 20+ years of fish keeping. I am somewhat "old school" but I say "if it ain't broke, don't fiddle with it". The only real problems I ever had were when I tried to "change". My mother had 40-45 tanks in our house while I was growing up (literally every surface that could hold a tank, did) She bred fish for several local pet stores. As I got older we both did. I have since moved to an isolated area with mom and pop petstores and have continued to breed certain cichlids, live bearers, and tetras.

Do you recommend sponge filters for my next 40 gallon?

Teddytedra said:
I think I may have been misunderstood. My intent was not to "bash" any particular type. And by canister filters I'm not talking about "hang on back" filters, I'm talking about the big bad boys. They do need replacement media besides just floss. HOB filters are ok, and mainstream, but I feel they leave too much waste in the gravel. More vacuuming than I wanna do.
To each their own.
I have never had to replace sponges... I have a few that are 10+ years. (oh except the one the cat shredded)
As for not needing filtration in a breeding tanks.... Why not? The fish are isolated in a tank for awhile.... And I grow the fry in the "breeding tank" (not trying to be argumentative, kinda asking for a clarification) I really love sponges those are the easiest. Especially in breeding tanks. You can "hide" them in a corner with plants... If you feel it's "ugly"... As for the comment about "fry safe" (on undergravels and sponges) I'm sure we have all had oopsies and had babies in display tanks. I just prefer everything fry safe :)

So wait I have a 1 gallon Aqueon MiniBow Desktop Aquarium with a 1 gallon QuietFlow filter. I have a single fry in that tank with nothing else for maybe 14 hours. He's not sucked up yet but I should go under gravel?

Eheim Ecco Pro, silent, reliable, uses hardly any electricity, loads of media choices and accessories - brilliant external filter.

I would always recommend a sponge.... But there are some very nice HOB filters. Sponges do take up valuable tank space, and they aren't exactly beautiful. You just can't beat the biological filtration they provide. And sponges are cheap. Cheap cheap. Less than 20 bucks (including shipping) for a sponge for a 100 gallon... Some brands require a 25 cent airstone, some don't. I bought one for my newest tank (5.5 gal eclipse system, "the system" pump burned out in 6 months use) for 3.18. Including shipping. No replacement parts needed. Also they are great to use WITH a different filter as well (increasing filtration is always a good thing) for periods of overcrowding or while going on vacation....

As for your one gallon, you will be fine. Remember if it's working....why fiddle with it? It would be stressful to the fish to change it all around. I wouldn't change it unless you have a problem.
Fish are people too lol. I wouldn't want someone to rearrange my house :)

Can someone explain to me why sponge is better/easier than my carbon Aqueon 10.

I'm getting a 40 gallon by Aqueon and I don't know if it comes with a filter or not but I am starting to want a sponge filter to cycle my NEXT tank after that which will probably be a goldfish tank in the living room

Back
Top Bottom