When Angelfish Grow Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biondoa

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 5 young angelfish in a 75g tank. So far they are all getting along. What happens when they grow up?

I have 5 young angelfish in a 75g tank. So far they are all getting along. What happens when they grow up?

They convene a moot to elect a new high king of skyrim.
Alright in all seriousness it mostly depends on their sex. If a pair forms you will likely have to rehome the other guys, but in a tank such as a 75 you **might** be able to get away with it (Andy has more insight on this...). If there's enough cover and stuff to break lines of sight and territory for the pair you could maybe keep the rest. Even if a pair forms said pair may still be aggressive to one another, without the presence of anymore their own kind. My pair fights pretty good sometimes but nothing more than some fin and scale scrapes.
If you've got all males you may see some spats but I'd assume nothing major without the presence of a female.
Their tank mates may also catch some heat so watch that as well.

I have 3 large and 4 smaller in 150gal. The 3 large squabble just about constantly but nothing serious and have settled down a bit. Helped that feeding time more regular now.

Finally the tank plants are growing out so there is a bit of cover for them each.

I think there is just enough tank size that a fish can be 'chased off' for a few feet and then duck into cover.

Fine with anything over neon tetra size. Yo yo loaches harass them. Barbs and mollies run over the top of them to get to food. But every so often an angle fish will hang under a molly clearly pondering how to get a large fish into a small mouth.

Back
Top Bottom