When changing water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aniistarr

Aquarium Advice Regular
When changing the water with the tube to suck any dirty thing from the gravel do you turn off the filter? i usually don't, but was wondering if its better to turn it off or is it ok to leave it on?

Also its very hot here in my living room where i have my fish tank and i don't have an AC only a fan. So if the fish tank is over 86F is it ok? i have a 2.5G with a female swordtail :blink: i did PWC change earlier and the water was 86F, but now i think is higher.

U should turn off filter and any other electrical fixtures, heaters too. As for temp, since u have a tiny tank, just replace some with cold water to help u. Place a fan blowing over top to help too. Floating ice in a bag helps too.

oh, thanks from now on i will turn it off when i change the water

And yes as of now i have the fan on blowing by the fish tank, but i don't know how to put the bag with ice, if i leave the top open is not good, because swordtail are fish that can jump :blink:

Can you move the tank? It's a pretty small tank.. I wouldn't want to use ice or cold water as a long term solution on this.. that's going to leave your temp jumping all over the place and will stress out your fish.

I also unplug everything when doing water changes.

Are you planning to upgrade your tank?? A swordtail really should have more space than that.. a lot more

I wanted to move it to my basement, but then is more work.

Yes i know 2.5G is too small for my swordtail and i will soon upgrade it to a 5G, i wish i could do more than that, but i don't have enough space :(

Fill a couple sandwich bags or even plastic grocery bags with ice , set them in the tank and close the lid to keep them in place. U don't have to put a giant 5lb bag in.

I wanted to move it to my basement, but then is more work.

Yes i know 2.5G is too small for my swordtail and i will soon upgrade it to a 5G, i wish i could do more than that, but i don't have enough space :(

IMO 5 gal is not enough, if you absolutely can not upgrade bigger then maybe rethink your setup. Return or rehome your swordtail and get a more suitable fish. A betta is a great option, it would also probably have a better time with the high temp which would remove that worry.

Back
Top Bottom