When does color show on fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I believe my platy fry are about a month old, and I was wondering when color starts to show on fry. One of the Fry is noticeably bigger than the other fry, and I think I'm starting to see a little black on the fins of the bigger one all the other fry are still clear looking with no color.

It takes 3 weeks for fry to usually get full color unless its from a livebearer then Idk

Fishfreak1 said:
It takes 3 weeks for fry to usually get full color unless its from a livebearer then Idk

Darn... They are from livebearer; a platy.

Then by 3 weeks they should have full color unless they don't eat we'll or are sick or have some injury or illness

Fishfreak1 said:
Then by 3 weeks they should have full color unless they don't eat we'll or are sick or have some injury or illness

They seem to be growing and I watch them when I feed them, they eat well from what I can tell.

Fishfreak1 said:

Huh? I have guppies. They take 2-4 MONTHS to develop a hint of color- and the ones that are born colored die

I have mollies swordtails now used to have platies and it usually took 3 weeks to develop full color for me but my tank was established so I don't know how your tanks are

Mines don't die other than the ones with clipped tail and things like that but those are usually the ones without the color

Fishfreak1 said:
I have mollies swordtails now used to have platies and it usually took 3 weeks to develop full color for me but my tank was established so I don't know how your tanks are

My tank is ten months old, planted sort of, high flow. I doubt the color will come much faster when I have show quality guppies set up in a seventeen tank fishroom

More times then not they take over a month to show true color. I have never seen any show earlier.

Back
Top Bottom