Where are all these bubbles coming from??? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy929

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got tons of microbubbles rising off the sandbed and on the rocks. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I just upgreded to 2x250W MH lighting from 2x65W PC. I've been running them for about 1 1/2 hours in the morning and another 1 1/2 hours in the evening, increasing each cycle 15 minutes each day to acclimate. Between lighting periods, the bubbles appear to subside. The tank temperature does rise a bit during the period as well, to ~83 F, but no higher. There is no cyano in the tank either.

What in the world is going on? And, should I be concerned or is this a common thing? :?

fishy929 said:
What in the world is going on? And, should I be concerned or is this a common thing? :?
Nothing is really wrong but with the inreased light intensity (and heat) will come the alges as well. That is primarily where the bubbles are coming from but they should subside. 83° is not considered that high but be wary on warmer days as it could get higher. I would actually suggest getting a fan blowing across the top of the tank to get it in the 80-81° area so when the there is a warmer day, you will have less of a concern. Are there fans in the hood presently?

I would also suggest altering your light pattern. Instead of a "dead" period in the middle, start off at say 2½ hrs/day with the MH and then every day or so add the 15 min to the beggining and/or end of the light cycle and increase it gradually until you are at a full days limit. You could also keep the actinic running the full time if they where incorporated into the new light set up.

Cheers
Steve

FWIW I jsut got done acclimating my tank to 2x250w MH.. I used about 4 layers of Window Screen on top of my tank and ran it the normal time that I wanted it to run... Every few days or so I would remove a layer therefor increasing the intensity.. So far no problems with anything and all is good..

James

I have a theory... The two M58 ballasts are running right below the tank. What if the heat from this warmed the DBS enough, forcing the nitrogen bubbles to rise prematurely 0X

I planned on getting a fan for the ballast and the tank tonight, but all I could find were heater fans :? Go figure with the weather change... I'll try again tomorrow. This isn't the first time Wal-Mart has let me down :D

Get some "computer fans" from a computer shop or radio shack. Most of them are 12vdc andyou can get a transformer to power them. :)

Back
Top Bottom