Where did I go wrong??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

findad

Aquarium Advice Regular
The wife was gone last weekend so i decided it would be a good time to swap out my show tank. Out with the 125 and in with the 225. Since we only have one place in the house that would accomidate a 6' tank, I had to move everything to a temporary setup, move the 125 out , set up 225 then transfer everything back to the 225.

I borrowed a 55, filled it with water and rocks, ect from the 125, got a new 35 gal trash can and filled it with tank water a rubermaid tub with more water. Caught all the fish and put them in the 55, moved one of the canister filters over so everthing stayed the same. got out another tub filled it with the sand.

The next morning I checked on them, 2 dead, one missing and the rest at the top of the water gasping??????? I got the all air pumps going that i could make work. an hour or so later, they came around and were ok???? The missing male bumble bee cichlid was found behind the tank, he jumped!!! after the storm calmed, i checked the water and other than a slight rise in ammonia it was fine??? was this just the stress from the move?????

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 69
No, not hardly alot of stress at all, they have survived worse, they are still alive when you got them right?

How did you clean the 225? was there any residuals on anything, maybe the water containers during transport? plastic is bad stuff for water, the chemicals in it are really not safe for eating and drinking on.

How big are your air pumps? I always double what covers the tank I am working with.

I do have to say, id put the same size tank on the left like the one on the right, the 55 it looks like, that little puny thing( I envy the 225, I got a 55 fbh), that would look real nice if you have the room, kick it around for a bit then ask the wife.

Sorry to hear this.
It certainly sounds like oxygen starvation,
I wonder if the sand had anything to do with it?
I'm thinking disturbing the sand may have released gasses that displaced the oxygen??
I don't know, shot in the dark?

What's that little growth by the tub in the first pic?

It has to be the oxygen, i neglected to drop an air stone in the 55 after moving the fish, but did have a lot of surface movement (felt safe)?? the fish went from tank to tank before the substrate was disturbed too bad, ( all rock and plants were gone).

The 55 was powerwashed, steel wooled and powerwashed again, 225 has been in the shop for a couple months; removed the silicone, scraped it, re-sealed, filled and used it as a test tank for some filters and u/g jets for probably 5-6 weeks. (awaiting the opportunity to trash the den).

growth=jr. aquaholic

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 69
Here's hoping everything settles down for you.

Those Wrangler brand fungii grow pretty good huh?

Everything seems fine now, got everthing moved to the big tank, let it setfor a few days to clear up. Since the same water was used, and the same filters and just added water to finish filling. Moved all the fish and started enjoying it.:D

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 53
That is a beautifully setup tank. Its freakin huge!! lol. Still, a wonderful tank you've got their. Definitely one of the nicer FW tanks i've seen so far.

I really like it but as usual, want to do more to it. I would like to add more rock to it but dont know how much is too much weight?? I'm not worried about the floor, there is a wall directly underneath it. My concern is the tank or the stand, how much can they hold? That is 140# of sand and about 300# of rock

Back
Top Bottom