Where do I place my powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gal Heavily planted tank with an Eheim 2026 that was fine, notice the was. The plant mass in my tank is so much now that there is some areas that are now not getting any flow, so my qestion is: what would be the best place for my new PH? I have made a very poor 'paint' drawing of my tank from the overhead to show you what I am talking about.

I was thinking about installing it by my CO2 reactor and adding a line from the reactor to the input to the PH. kinda like overdriving if you will. pointing the PH at 270 degree's. It would sit at the right side wall towards the back and point towards the front. understand?

or should I just install it in the front of the tank, running it straight across the front. my low flow areas are in the front of the tank on the right side.

powerhead.JPG

btw it's an aquaclear 70. the brown stuff is wood, dark red is rocks, and the color stuff being different plants. and suggestions?

here is a front on view of the tank before it grew in because of the pressurized CO2.

fish6.jpg

that x2

Well I guess it doesn't really matter. The PH I purchased is rated for 400 GPH. LOL that's almost twice as much as my filter.

here is what I was saying in the previous post:

powerhead1.JPG

being in the corner also hides the PH from view. I can always move it if it doesn't help the low flow areas. But with 400 GPH I doubt it, LOL.

Ya, play around with it a bit. Am I right in understanding that the red dot is your filter intake? I wonder what pushing water away from that intake might do... I have no idea, but I would keep an eye on it... What if you angled the PH towards the glass on the right-side?

Looks like the right corner in the back or in middle would be a good place. It really doesn't matter ultimately, just where you like it and it works for your tank. The entire tank circulation is going to happen regardless of where it is.

dapellegrini said:
Ya, play around with it a bit. Am I right in understanding that the red dot is your filter intake?

Yes, but the PH will be suspended about a foot above the intake, so I don't see a poblem there. good thought though.

here is what I am talking about in the plant mass aspect:
(the plants are so tightly packed that the flow is very hindered)

fish7.JPG

Front right tucked behind the Anubias and Crypt looks great to me. If you use CO2 mist too I bet you'll get even nicer growth around the valley/foreground.

Nice tank!

FWIW here is what a plant looks like when all it's needs are met, but the flow is not allowing it to get it (contradictory sentence?):
(notice the stem is covered in BBA)

fish8.jpg

same exact species of plant but with a little better flow on the other side of the tank:
fish9.jpg

big difference!

czcz said:
Front right tucked behind the Anubias and Crypt looks great to me. If you use CO2 mist too I bet you'll get even nicer growth around the valley/foreground.

That sounds like a grand idea.

czcz said:
Nice tank!
Thank you very much. same to you, BTW.

First of all, the tank looks great! Not as great on the paint attempt mind :lol:

That is very interesting that the anubias has such a big difference!
This is another thing to think about with regards to my tank, I think my plants will be packed in pretty tight so i will follow this thread.

I can't really offer much advice as i know little about heavily planted tanks.

Satsumas said:
That is very interesting that the anubias has such a big difference!

Same light, same ferts, same substrate, same placement in the aquarium just opposite sides, same everything except one gets more circulation then the other. makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom