Where is the good bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grits

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where is the good bacteria that everyone talks about? Is it loose in the substrate or, is it actually growing on each little piece of gravel?

I'm wanting to use a siphon hose to draw out some gravel that has gotten down in the extra holes in my UGF. But I'm wondering... If I do that will I be removing the good bacteria from under the UGF?

Thanks!

It's attached to surfaces once it has colonized. That means some on the glass, some in the filter, some in the substrate. The water itself holds very little. As long as you're not moving a whole lot at once, you will be fine. You may see a mini cycle if you take out a large decoration with a lot of surface area. UGFs can be a pain to maintain, which is why a lot of people don't like them. Just measure levels when you remove your UGF and do water changes as necessary.

I would suggest getting rid of the UGF but thats my opinon. they usually need to be taken apart and clean under every so often and that makes a mess, which causes to much work for me. What size tank do you have a good hang on the back filter like an Aqua clear are usually pretty cheap.

Thanks!

Does gravel vacing or stirring around the gravel remove some of the bacteria from it because of the friction?

Probably, but in no significant amount. When you gravel vac, you're removing more waste that gets trapped in the substrate than the beneficial bacteria so it's always good to gravel vac.

Bacteria are very good at making a safe home for themselves - they secrete a sticky mat that they live in and on. Think of tooth plaque as an example. The good bacteria in aquariums form a similar biofilm on solid surfaces. You'd have to scrub the substrate pretty well to knock off a significant amount of established bacteria.

Assuming you use a gravel vacuum often on your UGF then it is a fine as any other filter. All filters are apain if not maintained properly. But you will be safe vacuuming and not hurting the bacteria.It grows on every surface of the tank, not just the gravel. It will also be on the plates as well, and decorations etc...

Back
Top Bottom