Where should i put it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionhead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I am thinking of buying an aquarium but i have a problem of where should i place it. I don't have the space to just take it and put it down and i don't want my fish to suffer because of my bad choice.

So, will they mind me putting them on the top of the subwoofer or near soundboxes? The seller told me it will not harm them.

Thanks in advance :D

Honestly, I would invest in a stand. This is the safest way and best way for you and your fish. Stand can be expensive, but they also have simple iron ones for pretty cheap.

P.S. Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I can't imagine they would be all too thrilled if you even turn on your stereo on a normal setting (let alone loud). Vibrations through the water are much stronger than through the air. Plus, how much do you value your equipment? It could really screw things up if you have a leak or a crack that water gets out of.

Lionhead said:
So, will they mind me putting them on the top of the subwoofer or near soundboxes?

I have one of my tanks next to a speaker, and the fish don't seem to mind one bit. I think I'd hesitate to put a tank on a subwoofer though - besides the bother to the fish I'd worry about the vibration damaging the tank. Just my opinion though, I've never tried it.

I agree - I would not put a tank on a speaker for two reasons, one is the vibration and sound would stress the fish, and two, you are putting your (what I assume to be) expensive equipment at risk by having a container of water kept on it.

A stand designed for an aquarium is your best bet. I helped my neighbor one night to clean up a disastrous mess when his 29gal crashed to the floor when the desk he was keeping it on collapsed. He never imagined it would not hold the tank, and we were picking glass, fry and fish off the floor for a good long while.

You realize a gallon of water weighs almost 9 pounds? and that's not counting the weight of the tank itself. Would be a shame to destroy a sub and an aquarium by thinking a sub is a good tank stand. its not.

In addition, the vibrations/sound waves travel better underwater than in the air...thus it'll scare the fish and could kill them through stress.

I wouldn't put a tank near a sub or speakers as for the reasons listed in previous posts, by the way, you haven't clarified what size tank you have in mind ?? for all we know you could be planning on keeping a 500 gal or so on a sub !?

0X

Sometimes you can just go to a garage sale and find a small dresser or desk to put an aquarium on... or even a thrift store. If its a little wobbly you can reinforce it with some 2x4's... and its waaaaaaay cheaper than a stand. My boyfriends 29gal is on a desk he bought for $4 at a garage sale

I wouldn't advice putting it on the subwoofer because of the vibrations and the weight and with water changes, who knows what would get wet.

The seller told me it will not harm them.

Hence, you've come to AA for sound advice. I tried to imagine a tank sitting on top of a woofer...all I can see is trouble, problems and quite possibly a catastrophe. Water and electricity just don't make good partners and, as my colleagues have mentioned...the vibration is coming directly into the tank from the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom