Where to find rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all! I've been trying to find some large rocks for my 55g cichlid community tank. I have some large/mid sized limestone rocks in my tank right now because I live on the beach in Fl but the problem is that they are so brittle!! Every time I clean them they shrink in size, lol.
I've seen some DIY pictures of ppl having some kind of lava rock that's like foam that you can sculpt caves and holes into it. I've been trying to find it on the web and going to local landscaping companies and stuff but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone know where I could find some in a decent size that would make some cool caves and stuff for them to interact and for my fire eel to hide? Also if anyone knows any other types of rock that is relatively cheep and is great for stacking and making a good display tank I would GREATLY appreciate it!

ive got regular ol creek rock in mine. Limestone raises the ph, something i dont want because mines already at 7.8.. plus, creekrock is FREE, and all it requires is some cleaning up

Neat! So it's okay to go rock hunting and pick some stuff up (knowing about what it is) and it can be placed in the tanks? After some clean up, of course? I did not know that. Wow I bet rock from outside would look really nice in a planted tank.

I collect rocks form the wild. Just make sure you collect from a spot that is free of pollutants <herbicides & pesticides are bad!>. You would want to find slate or granite or some other non-reactive rock. <You can test by adding a bit of acid - HCl = muriatic acid, or some CLR lime remover. If the rock doesn't bubble & dissolve in acid, it should be inert in your tank.>

Wow that's really helpful, I had no idea. But the more I think about it, that makes sense. Of course, my LFS seems to price these types of rocks through the roof. ><

Well, I really have no choice in finding rocks in the wild here, all there is is Limestone in Florida.

Well, I really have no choice in finding rocks in the wild here, all there is is Limestone in Florida.

You can come visit the Rocky Mountains out west! We have lost of granite, limestone, slate ... :)

Seriously, maybe you can try a landscape place. Here, we can easily get slate pavers and lava rocks. <People use lava rock for ponds & they stock some sizable pieces for decorations.> They also sell "river rocks" in various sizes, but I am not sure why anyone would buy those ... you just have to go down to the river & pick some up ...

Can you use lava rock in a fresh water tank?

I just remembered that I had some rocks from when I visited Mt. Etna in Sicily.

EDIT: maybe not...lol....

cichlid community? please explain more btw a fire eel can get over 3ft long!

You can come visit the Rocky Mountains out west! We have lost of granite, limestone, slate ... :)

Seriously, maybe you can try a landscape place. Here, we can easily get slate pavers and lava rocks. <People use lava rock for ponds & they stock some sizable pieces for decorations.> They also sell "river rocks" in various sizes, but I am not sure why anyone would buy those ... you just have to go down to the river & pick some up ...
landscaping places are your best bet.

too bad it cost a fortune to send but I have a butt load of rocks from the beaches of Lake Erie. Basically types of sandstone and shale/slate. I take them home and boil them for a while.

I'd be careful with the rocks found on the beaches of Erie. Lake Erie is fairly polluted compared to what it was even just 10 years ago. I would definitely pour a bunch of boiling water over the rocks and scrub them very well. Actually, I wouldn't even use rocks from/around Lake Erie, period. LOL :) You should be able to find some nice slate with a little digging.

I've been on the hunt for rocks myself and I aggree with going to a masonary/pond store. You could also do what I did and search ebay and aquabid for them. I just got 4 lava rocks (1 large, 1 medium, and 2 small) that I won on ebay and have another large one, with a nice hole/cave in it, that should be arriving in the next couple of days from ebay also. Depending on what you're looking for, I like lava rock and lace rock but, so far, natural lace rock is proving hard to find. You could also check your local craigslist.

Thanks, I found some good granite and other rock at a few different landscapers around here. But for the fire eel hes about fully grown and he doesn't mess with my fish as of now (knock on wood). He's perfectly fine.

I'd be careful with the rocks found on the beaches of Erie. Lake Erie is fairly polluted compared to what it was even just 10 years ago. I would definitely pour a bunch of boiling water over the rocks and scrub them very well. Actually, I wouldn't even use rocks from/around Lake Erie, period. LOL :) You should be able to find some nice slate with a little digging.

Last time I was living out this way was in 1984. There wasn't any fish in the Lake. They've raised the catch limits in the past few years.

The Lake is actually cleaner than it has been in the last 100 years or so.

The way the EPA is anymore (run amok) I'm shocked they don't fine people $5000 a pop for having to take a pee when they are swimming in it.

I agree it is getting better but I still wouldn't risk putting anything from that area in my tanks. I forget which campground I was at, Ohio side vs PA side, but the park rangers handed out a flier that compared parameters from Lake Erie to the other Great Lakes. It was quite shocking to say the least! I'll have to see if I can find that when I get home from work. It was a neat little brochure.

they all flow into Erie... About the biggest problem we have in my neck of the wood is the bacteria blooms. Was sort of funny coming back after 20 years and seeing how the Lake has recovered.

I've had stones from the beach in my tank for about 6 months with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom