Where to purchase sand in nyc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skald89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for my question.

I am looking to start a second tank in my house. I would like sand as well as my substrate and I am wondering if I find cheaper sand. I purchased pool filter sand from ACE for $13+tax. I live in New york city (11366) and would like to know if anyone has found sand for cheaper. I am avoiding play sand to not deal with any problems it may cause in my tank.

I am happy wit the sand I purchases but would just like to save some more money. This is the sand I purchased.

What problems do you think plays and causes? I have it in 2 tanks with no problems. It takes a little for it to settle since its light but once it settled I haven't had any issues. And it's cheap :)

What problems do you think plays and causes? I have it in 2 tanks with no problems. It takes a little for it to settle since its light but once it settled I haven't had any issues. And it's cheap :)

You have the same sandblasting sand, that Blert told me to purchase?

Im worried its too abrasive. It might scratch my tank or it will hurt my fish. My A. Cichlids like to dig.

I've had and still had black blasting sand in my tanks. When I had Africans they loved it. Digging, moving, and even blowing sand out of their gills. I've had numerous bottom dwellers that have flourished in blasting sand.

Lastly, it does come in different grain size as well

skald89 said:
You have the same sandblasting sand, that Blert told me to purchase?

Im worried its too abrasive. It might scratch my tank or it will hurt my fish. My A. Cichlids like to dig.

Have it in my 75 gallon. All sand is abrasive if you blast it out of high pressure machine, even perfectly round spheres. As far as it being light, it's really not. My PFS in one of my other tanks makes it way up the gravel vac further than the blasting sand does. It is slightly magnetic though so you have to be careful with your MagFloat.

Back
Top Bottom