Where to start??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have had had a 55gl tank for over 15 years. I have moved up to a 100gl and have had it up and running for about 10 to 12 mounts now. I had some trouble keeping the tank clean at first. I had two bio-wheels & 350 Magnum and a small wet-dry filter. I thought that would be more then enough filtration. I found out I was WRONG.
I have tank off the 350 magnum and the bio-wheels.
Added bio-wheels w/filter and an FX5.
Tank is running good. I start adding some more fish, plants and driftwood to the tank. All is running good. I buy some new plants.(up untill now I have only had one type of plant in the tank added 4 more kinds in one day.)
Im not saying the new plants caused this just shortly after I start getting green HAIR algae.
I did a black out on the tank for 4 days to see if that would kill it.NOPE!! I test the water again and the Nitrates are high. I do a water change to get the Nitrates down. Hair algae keeps growing. I order a Phosphates test kit. 9 days later I get it. Phosphates are WAY HIGH.
I do a 50% water change. By now my fish are starting to die. about one aday. I wait two days and test the water again Nitrates are alittle high but Phosphates are still way to high. I do another 50% water change.(fish are still dying.) The next day I do another 50% water change. Phosphates are still way to high. I test the tap water to see how much phosphates are in the new water.
Tap water is all good. The phosphates are in the tank some where. (with the 50% water changes I am vacuuming the gravel with the 1st two.) About 2 weeks ago I changed the filters that are with the bio wheels and about a week ago I cleaned the FX5.
Fish are still dieing.
Last night I took off the wet-dry filter and cleaning it now. I guess I can do another 50% water change to see if it was the wet-dry. I have also taken out all of my driftwood except one peace. (It took a long time to sink this peace. LOL)
Lost one more fish today.

Any help would be grateful

Thanks

Are the ammonia and nitrite readings both 0? You didn't mention that. How often are you cleaning the wet/dry and the fx5? When I first got my canister filters, I didn't know I was supposed to clean them and after a month, my nitrate was 160ppm!!! Now I clean one of the two on my 150g once a week, alternating between the two so that they're cleaned every two weeks each. Are you injecting co2? How much are you feeding and how often?

Yes, both ammonia and nitrite readings are at 0.
I am not injecting CO2. I clean my FX5 about once a month. I have not cleaned my wet-dry I dont know when.
I only clean the filter pads that are on top of the wet-dry about one time ever 4 months or when needed.
I have been running the wet-dry like this for over 10 years.

I am doing a 50% water change right now and will test the water when Im done. With no wet-dry on tank.

I only feed one time a day and it is all eaten with in about 2 or 3 mins.
After a 50% water change I am still over 10ppm. I have also put some phosphate absorption media in one of the filters about 3 days ago. I have trimmed my plants back and got most of the dieing leaves out of the take with alot of the hair algae.

I dont want to kill all the bacteria in my tank. But at the same time I need to get the tank under control be for I loss all my fish.

In the short term a phosphate removal pad may help and I think it is good to have in there for now, but you still need to get to the souce of the phosphate.

Is the phosphate from a mineral source.... rocks for instance?

In the short term a phosphate removal pad may help and I think it is good to have in there for now, but you still need to get to the souce of the phosphate.

Is the phosphate from a mineral source.... rocks for instance?

So if it is in my gravel how do I get the phosphates to come down?
I have about 2 bags of Eco-Complete mixed with medium size gravel.

Back
Top Bottom