which adhesive to build caves out of rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a lot of river rocks as part of our yard landscaping. I plan on soaking and cleaning many 2" to 3" rocks in tap water to add to my (my kids') tank. I was thinking I could use some along with a clay flower pot to build a cave. What is a recommended adhesive that will not alter water parameters? Epoxy, silicone adhesive, or ???

I have a lot of river rocks as part of our yard landscaping. I plan on soaking and cleaning many 2" to 3" rocks in tap water to add to my (my kids') tank. I was thinking I could use some along with a clay flower pot to build a cave. What is a recommended adhesive that will not alter water parameters? Epoxy, silicone adhesive, or ???

3M makes a pure silicone adhesive that lowe's carries for a good price. That's what I'm using to do the same exact thing as you and so far it seems to be working well in my soak tests.

Mr. Limpet said:
3M makes a pure silicone adhesive that lowe's carries for a good price. That's what I'm using to do the same exact thing as you and so far it seems to be working well in my soak tests.

Thank you. I really should have built something prior to adding water and starting my fishless cycle. Now that I'm seeing light at the end of the cycle tunnel, I'm realizing I need to get this tank decorated so that fish can be added once the cycle is complete.

Now I just need to figure out how big of a pot to get, how many rocks to add, etc.

royta said:
Thank you. I really should have built something prior to adding water and starting my fishless cycle. Now that I'm seeing light at the end of the cycle tunnel, I'm realizing I need to get this tank decorated so that fish can be added once the cycle is complete.

Now I just need to figure out how big of a pot to get, how many rocks to add, etc.

I think you're fine. I setup and cycle and as it's going on I add plants and figure out what will work best (or better lol) and the one I'm working on now is for a seasoned tank.

As for how big, what fish, invert is it for and how big will it be as an adult? That'll determine the size.

Back
Top Bottom