Which algae do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week or so ago I noticed my plastic plants were looking a little dingy (brownish?) and expected it to be some form of algae but it was only on the plants so I left it be. My 2 mollies would pick at it, and my pleco and 3 snails would spend time on it as well, so I left it as a small food source.

Recently my pleco abandoned ship in the night time and I found him the next day, so this may have escalated the problem.

Either way, about 2 days ago I noticed the glass wasn't as clear. Instead, it had nearly transparent brown blotches on it, and a deeper brown around the perimeter of the tank where the gravel meets the glass. I removed the algae from the fake plants (live plants look fine) and scrubbed the algae off the glass with my hand as a temporary band aid until further investigation could be had. Today brown blotches have a bit of green to them...

I have a Finnex Planted + light which is on timer for 7 hours (3p-10p). I also leave the blinds open throughout the day, but there is no direct light hitting the tank, only ambient light in the room. I may close the blinds for awhile if that is advised.

What do you all think? Thanks

About 4.5 months. It took about 2 months for my water chemistry to finally get right and it has been nice ever since. I rarely check my levels because ammonia and nitrite are usually nil and nitrates <40. I'll check them tomorrow just to see

Back
Top Bottom