Which is better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMan24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is a regular filter or a under gravel filter better or could I use both

If you are referring when you say "regular" filter I assume you are talking about a hang-on-back filter, I would personally recommend a hang-on-back.

I have a few reasons for saying this. First of all, HOBs are the same price, very easy to find as well. There are a variety of options of them. Secondly, there is actually a hazard to livestock if you go for the under-gravel substrate. The fact that the filter itself is impossible to service without a full rescape is a big minus. Fish waste and other detritus builds up, and quickly just turns into a nitrate factory. I have heard many, many stories of skyrocketing nitrates in UG-filtered tanks, even with plenty of water changes.

Third, my least favorite con. My brother once had an under gravel filter on his 10 gallon turtle tank. The tank stunk up the whole room. He was doing water changes every other day just to make the smell bearable. He thought it was just the fact that turtles were messy. Due to under-gravel filter failure and cracks, resulting in awful smell, he had to change the filter. He changed it to a powerful HOB, and the smell was non-existent.

Fourth, HOBs are easily serviceable and you can stick in extra filter media. Cartridges are cheap and everywhere, and are easily replaced.

To me, the answer is clear ;) .

Back
Top Bottom