Which would you choose....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefNooB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok im at a point where i am goin to begin start purchasing lighting for my tank. I plan on having some corals probably not any stoney corals. I originally planned on metal halides and vho actinics, but i decided not to because of the heat issues. So i am torn between VHO and PC both are within my price range but i cant decide. I have a plan for each if i were to go with PC i was going to get 2 hellolights ballasts that can push 2x96w (384w total) bulbs each and all the gear to install them for around $250. The VHO set up would be a 4x110 (440w total) icecap ballast 2x10k and 2xactinic bulbs for around $170.

-Which puts out more lights?
-What would be the limits as far a corals?
-I heard that with PCs algae can be bad, but wouldnt the cleaners take care of this? so it might actually be a good thing.... for the cleaners

What are some other pros and cons of each.

Thanx a ton :D

Either will be plenty of light for your tank... you can keep, softies, leathers, LPS, and some SPS with that.... maybe even an anemone..... I've got a 55gal with 4x65w and keep all of those except the anemone.... I would go with the setup with actinics though because it really helps the color of the tank......

Back
Top Bottom