White Algae on Driftwood Only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

This morning I noticed some white gunk growing on my driftwood. I'm at the very beginning stages of doing a fishless cycle. It's been 5 days and all I have is a slightly elevated ammonia reading (1.00ppm) It reads 0.25ppm straight from the tap - I'm guessing it's chloramine. I haven't added ammonia or food or anything, just the dirty-looking waste water from a plant I got at my LFS. I'm getting some seeded media from someone this weekend.

The only living thing I have in the tank is a Marimo Moss ball, which was ailing a little from too much light when I brought it home, but now looks much better since I moved it to a darker spot.

I'm treating with Prime and supplementing with Big Al's Bio Support. I did a 30% PWC yesterday because my driftwood is leaching tannins and I prefer my water more clear.

I've attached some pictures. What is this and should I be concerned?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393427731.183177.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393427763.755974.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393427780.141678.jpg

This is typical with new dw, nothing to worry about. It will go away on its own..

It doesn't cause ammonia and if it really bothers you a quick spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide 3% usually kills it off.

If a fungus that eat a bacterias that eat a chemical that is released by the DW for the firsts months. I won't care about this, it will solve by itself. You can still remove the excess white fungus with a toothbrush, the the time will take care of it.

3% hydrogen peroxide for spot treatement work for almost any fungus/algae, but it's temporary, fungus will grow back until the DW stop releasing this nutrient. You can spot dose up to 1 ml/gallon daily. Just throwing peroxide into the water column wont work.

Back
Top Bottom