White Build-Up on Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a new issue with my tank I just noticed when Grandma wanted pictures of my snail, which she cleverly named Energizer. I had the lamp on since my tank is pretty dim. There's sort of a white build-up on the suction cups of the filter. Does this mean there's calcium in the water, or is this a big problem? This tank was moved a few weeks ago from my hometown to my college, a good three-hour drive, and at home, there was never any white build-up.

BettaGal said:
I have a new issue with my tank I just noticed when Grandma wanted pictures of my snail, which she cleverly named Energizer. I had the lamp on since my tank is pretty dim. There's sort of a white build-up on the suction cups of the filter. Does this mean there's calcium in the water, or is this a big problem? This tank was moved a few weeks ago from my hometown to my college, a good three-hour drive, and at home, there was never any white build-up.

Most likely calcium build up.

BettaGal said:
So is that okay? I got a betta and a snail. Does that mean there's enough calcium in the water to supplement the snail's shell building?

Not sure but ik it is also other things besides calcium. Maybe someone else can answer, sorry!

It's only on the suction cups, so it can't be that emergent right now. It's been a few weeks and it's only on the suction cups. It's not like it's taking over my tank like radioactive slime goo. Just so I find out what on earth it is and whether I need to act on it before it becomes radioactive slime goo, I'll have a happy tank.

BettaGal said:
It's only on the suction cups, so it can't be that emergent right now. It's been a few weeks and it's only on the suction cups. It's not like it's taking over my tank like radioactive slime goo. Just so I find out what on earth it is and whether I need to act on it before it becomes radioactive slime goo, I'll have a happy tank.

I have the same stuff on everything that is rubber in my tank, suction cups, airline tubing, and the rubber parts of my heater. I don't know what it is but it doesn't cause any issues with my tank, still curious though just like you.

Like I said. Until it turns into radioactive slime goo, I won't throw a fit and go crazy over this white build-up on my suction cups. But I would like to know what on earth it is before it becomes radioactive slime goo.

Back
Top Bottom