White fuzz growing on my driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is it and will it hurt my fish?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had same issue. Bacteria bloom. Harmless. Let it be or take it out and scrub it off. Either is fine. Totally harmless though.

White fuzz on DW is fungus and not harmful. It is unsightly and you can remove the DW, put it in a sink and pour hydrogen peroxide on it. Leave it sit 20-30 minutes and then add back into the tank. This often kills the fungus and often times it doesn't grow back.

new DF release a nutrient slowly, so a bacteria feed on it, and a white fungus feed on this bacteria.

It usually stop after 3-5 months by itself, but it's harmless.

Thanks guys...one more question I found some rocks in my back yard was hoping to put them in my 30g. Would it be safe to put them in?

Depends if the rock will release limestone, or carbonates or other things like calcium that will increase the KH/GH (alkalinity or general hardness).

I heard the vinegar test may work, but I recommand testing it with a stronger acid like muriatic acid. If it react by making bubbles on it, it means they'll increase KH/GH.

For sure boil it a bit before, to prevent introducing any diseases/fungus/pests to the tank.

White Fuzz

What is it and will it hurt my fish?

Hello pedi...

I've seen this grow on pieces of driftwood when it's initially put into a tank. It's like a fungus, which strangely is neither a plant nor animal. I had this growing on some driftwood and found it grew where uneaten pieces of food landed in a crack in the wood where the fish couldn't get to it. I got rid of it by putting Ramshorn snails into the tank. The very small snails cleaned it off in a matter of a few days. That was a long time ago. The fungus never showed up again.

B

Thanks guys...one more question I found some rocks in my back yard was hoping to put them in my 30g. Would it be safe to put them in?

Unless you know they have never been exposed to chemical while in the yard I personally wouldn't use them. Not worth risking any chemicals leaching into the tank. Porous rocks are the worst for absorbing unwanted chemicals.

If you decide to use them I would first put a few drops of vinegar on the rocks to see if they bubble or fizz. If so and you use them they will increase gh, kh, and ph in your tank.

Also do not boil rocks as some can explode.

I did the vinegar test and there was no fizz...been letting them soak awhile and the water isnt exactly clear...if its a tint of yellowish brown u think I should just scrap the idea?

So just checked on the tank with the dw and it seems the cories are eating it.

Back
Top Bottom