white strings on one particular fake plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished cycling my 20g tank and its my first few days without daily water changes.... I just noticed on one particular plant (they're all fake) there are some white/clear strings are hanging off. They are all relatively long 1+ inches and do not move on their own. Most of them look almost like strings of hot glue but others are more substantial and have almost a very slight fuzzy look to them. I'm not sure if its just poo, if I lost a few strands of hair when I was doing water changes or of something else is going on

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130115_003737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130115_003737.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunner_20130115_003753.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130115_003753.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 107
A few possibility: if you hair is white or blonde it could be a hair, but not likely. Possibly a fungus? If there are snails in the tank, it is probably like a strand of snail thread and crap, I saw that before in mine.

Not unless a snail hitched a ride in the water that came with one of my new fishies. I did look for snails bit couldn't see any. I have a goldfish that's been tilting slightly for at least a week so I treated with API general cure in case there's some sort of parasite. Hes been acting and eating fine just a little bit.....diagonal when he's not actively swimming.

I didn't think it was hair because any I lose isn't that short. Mine goes down to my shoulders. If its a fungus chances are it will spread, correct?

Probably poop. Sounds like your goldfish has an internal parasite. I would treat again and you might want to get some medicated food as well

After I got home today I checked and he straightened out a little bit and seems more active. The meds call for one more round tomorrow but I'm due for a water change tomorrow... should I just do the water change and restart the treatment or wait for the water change

Really up to you. I always follow the box but if you really need to due a water change because your parameters are off

K. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna test the water again tomorrow and make the decision depending on the results

Back
Top Bottom