White stuff on my wood dangerous or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I must be batman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found this cool lookin log at a nearby lake so I boiled it real good and put it in my FW 45 gallon tank. Its been there for about a week and I put fish in 3 or 4 days ago, but now there's white stuff growing on it. Should I take the log out and buy one from the local fish store? I kind of thought it was fish food that wasn't eaten (I overfed the fish the first night I got them). If so, is it adding to the ammonia? Should I scrape it off?

I found this cool lookin log at a nearby lake so I boiled it real good and put it in my FW 45 gallon tank. Its been there for about a week and I put fish in 3 or 4 days ago, but now there's white stuff growing on it. Should I take the log out and buy one from the local fish store? I kind of thought it was fish food that wasn't eaten (I overfed the fish the first night I got them). If so, is it adding to the ammonia? Should I scrape it off?

It's pretty common, it's fungus that grow on DW sometimes. I got it on one piece and just used my gavel vac on the DW to get it off. If the DW doesn't have plants attached and is easy to get to, pull it out and wash it in tap water, then rinse in water from a PWC and put it back in. I've heard some bottom dwellers will go after it, but IDK for sure.

Do you have anyway of knowing what kind of tree the wood is from?

If it is a softwood, it will begin to rot in the tank and sort of melt, like when an aquatic plant dies.

Back
Top Bottom