White worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone tell me what this is and how to treat it? I know the pix are horrible, I'm sorry I can't seem to get better.

img_2237330_0_05f20352d008f39a6d8095c53ab90813.jpg

img_2237330_1_3537005a5f4a1bdb8213ca713e2466ba.jpg

A bit of back story. Over the past 2 months I've had a lot of fish death in my tank and haven't been able to figure out why. Every death seems a bit different though all have my fish acting strange before they die. Hiding, not really eating and not being active.

I know water had been good, I've been testing like crazy and nothing has changed. I've lost 5 rasbora, 1 gourami, 4 platy ad 2 neons. I had an outbreak of fin rot with my platies about half way through the deaths. It knocked out 3 of my 4 platies but they were acting strange as well before and even though I treated with melifix as soon as I noticed some slightly jagged fins they died with in 48 hours.

My angel is usually very active, he greets me at the surface and is always ready to eat. The moment he sees anyone in the room he comes to the front and is ready to greet you. The last few days he's hiding a lot. In the back near my heater behind some driftwood and decor. Basically where you see him above. He isn't eating. He's come to the surface a few times(though not for the past 2 days) like he was going to and then just looks at it and goes away.

Any idea? I really have no idea what to do right now. Is there something I can treat with? I love this guy and would hate to loose him too. Also worried about the few remaining neons I have of course too. There are 3 and while they are acting a bit strange I'm not sure if that is simply because they are feeling the effects of the rest of the school being gone.

Well here I am a while later and the same white thing is hanging out where it was. It hasn't come out much more, maybe a mm further and shows no signs of breaking off. I am pretty certain this is not poop. I've never seen my angel poop anything like this before.. heck I don't even know if I've seen it trail poop period.

I believe it is some type of worm.. nematodes? I read that you can use parachlorometaxylenol to treat but have no idea where I would find such a thing and am sure it would have another name on the shelf??

I would treat for internal parasites right away. White poop and not wanting to eat is a symptom

I've just picked up some API General Cure and am going to start dosing tonight. I need to try and rip open my media to get my carbon out.

Well I did the firs treatment of API general cure last night. With in a couple hours of treatment I spotted my angel out from hiding and swimming around the front part of the tank slowly.

He hasn't moved away from the back area he's been hiding in voluntarily in over a week so it was a nice surprise. He's still spending a good portion of time hiding in the back but is moving some more. He was doing loops around the back wall of the tank and is more movement than I've seen from him in over a week which was nice.

I have 1 neon acting strange. I'm still not certain if it's the stress of the small numbers since the previous deaths or something else. It's been hiding in the same spot for a few days and has only moved a time or 2. He looks thinner than normal as well so I'm hoping to General Cure will help it out as well.

I'll do the second dose tomorrow after the water change and hopefully we will be healthy shortly after.

Back
Top Bottom