who ate all the plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veetee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've searched the forum for a thread which might give me the info, but so far haven't found any. My plants are getting nibbled big time, especially the wheat grass. Is this because the fish are hungry? They get a small pinch once a day, should I be feeding them more, or or do they just like to eat the plants regardless!
I only have 3 cherry barbs and a silver shark at the moment in a 20 gallon, 4 plants all different (1 floating) and they are nibbling them all, but seem to have taken a particular liking to this one. Is there any way of stopping / reducing the damage, or do I just have to put up with it??

Are you sure it's "nibbling" and not a deterioration of the plants due to lack of nutrients and/or lighting?

Do you have any photos of the damage?

I agree with neilanh, how much light do you have? And what plants?

Some fish do chow on them however, when I started with plants I thought the snails were damaging my plants, turned out it was a mineral deficiency....I have not seen any of my cherry barbs ever picking at plants, don't know about a silver shark though.
If you have a fish that is a plant nibbler you just have to find a plant that they don't like.....for example....angelfish consider bacopa a tasty snack so I could never keep it in a tank with them unless I wanted to feed it to them for a snack. You may have to experiment with tougher plants like annubias.

How quickly do the fish eat what you give them? I feed mine til they seem to have had "enough" rather than any set amount.

No, it is definate nibbling, the plants are all very healthy and relatively new. both the barbs and shark are at them, usually overnight is the worst.
They are getting a good quality tropical flake food, they are keen to eat but usually dont finish it all at once, I am wary of increasing the amount in case I over feed them and cause any problems, is there anything else in the way of fresh veg or something that they would eat instead if it might be a dietary deficiancy?? I don't mind the odd bit of nibbling but it seems like I just turn my back and more leaves are shredded!
:confused:
I thought of trying to feed just a tiny amount a few times a day, do you think this would help?

often times lfs sell non aquatic plants. plants like wheat grass never heard of it. non aquatic plants in the tank wont live.

as far as feeding you can try zucchini. i feed my fish all kinds of things like peaches.

small frequent feedings cant hurt.
Things you can feed also include lettuce, cucumber just watch it and if they don't eat it, pull it out. :)

I have seen silver sharks destroying tank vegetation in my tank...but in my case they were destroying my cabambas

Back
Top Bottom