who is more stressed? me or the fish.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I tried to post pictures but the application keeps crashing on me so I will just write this out. My tank ammonia reads almost 0.25. I say almost cuz the green tint is pretty light. In fact I was so unsure that I tested my tap in comparison. The tap has a little more yellow but not much. I am using api master by the way. I am a little over 3 weeks into a fish-in cycle and all has been going well until this weekend.
I did a larger than usual water change Saturday and turned off the filter and heater so as not to damage them. Ever since then the fish have been acting very strange, sitting on the bottom and tails curled and flapping fins quickly. The fish were no different today and my ammonia had hardly risen but I just did a change anyway because they look so miserable. The rest of my parameters Are pH 8.2, nitrites 0 (haven't risen at all yet) and nitrates 0. I am just not sure what else i can do to help the fish.
Oh, and i did use double dose of prime because of the chloramine in my water.
Thanks for any advice

You probably don't need to double-dose the Prime as at the normal dose it removes a good bit of choloramine (though I don't know how much is in your water, obviously). That said, double-dosing should be safe and not stress your fish.

Ammonia at or below 0.25 ppm shouldn't be troubling for most fish either. No amount of ammonia is good, but those levels aren't toxic.

The only think I can think of is, did you match the temperature of the replacement water with the temperature of the tank water? A sudden change in temperature could lead to the stress you describe.

Other than that, it seems to me you're doing everything right with your fish-in cycle.

Good luck!

I use a python water changer and always set my water to approximately the same. When I left for work the fishies were all still huddled at the bottom. I don't want to lose them but if I do I will be trying a fishless Cycle.

I use a python water changer and always set my water to approximately the same. When I left for work the fishies were all still huddled at the bottom. I don't want to lose them but if I do I will be trying a fishless Cycle.

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right with your fish-in cycle. I hope everything goes well, and my guess is that your fish will be just fine. My fish huddle too, sometimes.

Best!

Thanks for the support. I have never had fish before and don't know what to think when they aren't swimming around watching every move I make. My ammonia this morning was still 0.25 so I didn't do a water change. I will check in the morning. The rate we are going with 4 molly's in a 46 gallon, we may be cycled around Christmas :)

Parameters this morning
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
It has been since Monday since I did the last water change and added prime at that time. I know prime only lasts 24-48 hours and my ammonia has stayed the same so I added a cap of prime and didn't do water change because won't that lower my ammonia to much to help cycle? I will check again tomorrow.

As long as ammonia is being produced in the tank the bacteria are going to colonize it, you don't need to keep a certain level in there.

You said you have chloramine in your tap, how much ammonia is that adding? The seachem website states how much chlorine and ammonia a standard dose of Prime tackles, so you may likely just be wasting product.

Keep up what you're doing, its a hard wait for the tank to cycle especially with a limited stock in a larger tank. Once you get those nitrite readings you are moving right along

Techo-thank you. This fish stuff is a lot harder than what I thought it would be. Petsmart made it sound like you just get water in the tank, add a little chemicals, and bam... Add fish. Yeah, right!
Jetajockey-thank you for the advice. So do you think I should just leave the water and change after it reaches about 0.5? The tap water I tested doesn't show ammonia consistently so not sure if that contributes anything or not. I will look over the seachem website and see if any recommendations. Should I only add the prime when I do water changes even if I don't have to do water change but every 2-3 days? Thanks.

P.S. Someone want to cycle my tank and just give it back when ready? :)

Back
Top Bottom