Who is the corydoras killer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429557940.387831.jpg
Water parameters:
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 5-15

Today I found one of my peppered cories dead. A few hours later I found one dying. Last week I found one stuck to the intake, and the next day another one. I haven't noticed anyone aggressive besides the Plecos, but only to each other. It can't be the Angels because they were added on Saturday. The 8 cories is how many I had last night. There is six now.

NOTE: I'm waiting for the Angels and Rams to pair off. The extras will be moved. The mollies will be moved in about a month or so.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

What's your hardness and what state are you in?
Cories can have a real hard time with high gh and sodium.

They will be swimming and acting normal, then they are just dead.

Fishobsessed7

Ive never had problems with cories previously.

Fishobsessed7

My guess is disease. I've had something similar to your description with a school of saltwater fish. It seemed like every day I would find a fish that had been blue/green a few hours earlier and than become grey/black/white stuck to the power head my school of 8 is now down to 1 who is fine so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe disease but bristlenose plecos can be nasty at feeding time. My peppered corys are constantly having specs of blood on their bodies from the plecos throwing their bodies around.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Possibly disease, but it might be aggressive if the fish had any obvious marks. I had an aggressive angel take out a few of my juliees. That may be the case with one or more of your 6

Possibly disease, but it might be aggressive if the fish had any obvious marks. I had an aggressive angel take out a few of my juliees. That may be the case with one or more of your 6

It can't be the Angels because they are new and don't hardly go down to the bottom.

Fishobsessed7

Maybe it could be the 5 rams, they can get pretty aggressive at times

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The Rams are actually not aggressive at all. The most aggressive thing that I've seen them do is lip-lock with each other for a few seconds. They actually get pushed around by the other fish during feeding. I'm thinking it is most likely the Plecos if it's a fish.

Fishobsessed7

It could be the substrate. I had the wrong substrate with cories and I couldn't figure out why they kept dying. They find food using their barbels and if the substrate hurts their barbels they can't eat.

What is your substrate?

The substrate is the black sand at petco.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom