Whoops....Another tank?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paisley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just browsing ebay, as you do, and there happened to be a 147 litre (1225 x 26 x 46 mm) tank with stand at 3 minutes to go.........
I guess I am the proud owner of another tank! At 71 bucks I think its a pretty good deal.
I have a couple of questions.
The seller quarrantees that it has no leaks however, being partial to my lovely rug and other furnishings, I will fill it and leave it for a week or so to check for leaks. Outside.
Do second hand tanks need to be sterilised in some way?
If it has been used as a marine tank then is there anything particular I need to do to prepare it for freshwater fish?
I am sure I will have many more questions about filters etc further down the track but I'll get the preliminary prep over first.
I am so excited. (And my wallet is groaning again).

you can sterelize the tank with a bleach and water soloution. scrape the barnacles and crud off the glass with a razor blade and a small brush. Do not use soap or any brushes that have had soap on them in the past. Make sure to rinse the tank out thoroughly when your finshed. Leave tank outside in the sun for a few days or fill it with water and double or triple the water conditioner.

I have 3 tanks that all used to be saltwater tanks. Takes a lil time to clean but they can be used for freshwater again

Vinegar works wonders for removing hard water deposits and salt creep, and it rinses clean.

A mild bleach solution rinse followed by a good cleaning with a strong vinegar solution then a good fresh water rinse. Lastly, a rinse with dechlorinated water (add extra dechlorinator to deal with any left over bleach) and it should be good to go.

Fantastic. Thank you both. I pick it up tomorrow night. With the vinegar, is it simple white vinegar or would unfiltered cider vinegar be better?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom