Why are my fish kissing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pink parrot and cichlid look like they are kissing. They also go on their sides and kind of swipe each other. What are they doing? They are in a 20 gallon long tank. This is our first real fish tank. My chemicals are good. A little too much algae but other than that...all is ok. Any thoughts?

They're not kissing, they're facing off. This is an act of aggression used to establish dominance. As is the tail swiping.

What other type of cichlid do you have in with your blood parrot?

A 20g is far too small for even just one of these types of fish unless the other is a dwarf cichlid.

Well my cichlid is 2 inches and my pink parrot is 3 inches and plump. They have plenty of room for now. Do you think I need to feed them more? I feed them once a day? Is there anything I can do to stop their aggression towered each
other. They have been getting along just fine.

Can you take a picture of the other cichlid. Just calling it a cichlid is pretty vague. Some cichlids are definitely not compatible with each other.

And a 20g with a parrot is absolutely too small. It will lead to stunting, increased aggression, and early deaths.

I agree your fish are showing aggression. The fact that they are showing aggression is saying the tank is too small. The minimum tank you should be considering is at least 55 gals.

In the meantime you can help to lessen aggression by making sure there are plenty of rocks and hiding spaces for them to feel like they each have their own territory.

+1 for it being a sign of aggression. The kissing action is usually called arguing. My male GBRs have started doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom