Why Cichlid Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ndtimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read a lot of reviews regarding pros and cons of cichlid salt and I have decided to use it in my freshwater tank, but my question is how much to use for a healthy tank or does this make any difference? I am viewing this as a maintenance step to prevent future problems. Is this wise?

Stable water conditions are the most important imo. Some use them some don't. I don't. I use some Epsom salt every water change though. 1 Teaspoon per bucket replaced. It helps with digestion and the hardness of the water.

I've used kosher salt to treat disease and parasites but other then that no I don't use it. If my pH is good 8.0-8.2 I leave it be. If its lower I'll use crushed coral in a bio bag or Malawi Buffer. I use to use the Cichlid salt but figured I was wasting my money when if need be a whole pound bag of kosher salt at half the price :)

Personally, I don't use salt in fw tanks. A healthy fw tank really shouldn't need salt IMO. I have used it to treat ailments before, but thats it. Some fish are actually very sensitive to salt and it can cause issues for them. But, that depends on the species. Some fish tolerate it more than others. JMO.

I use 1 teespoon per 5 gal once every 4 wc's,its suppose to help with stress,digestion and gill function
It definitly helps to heal nicks and wounds
And imo it is beneficial to My clean healthy
Tank,now i also have a 125 planted grow tank that i do not salt,as it will destroy plants,i use No other additives

Thanks for all your good advice. Since I will have Java moss, I will try the Epsom salt at each water change. I plan to use the old water for my house plants and rose bushes. The Epsom salt is great for plants:) :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom