Why do I have to cycle my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FashionD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this may be a dumb question, but why is cycling a tank important? Why couldn't one just add de-chlorinator and Quick Start API to a fish tank at the beginning and with every water change? That keeps all the harmful chemicals (ammonia, nitrate, etc) away.

Yeah but it will build up to harmful levels from fish waste. Cycling is a must.

Why can't you just test the water two times a week and make sure levels are at 0? If you do partial water changes 2x a week (with Quick Start), those levels should stay at 0, right?

Why can't you just test the water two times a week and make sure levels are at 0? If you do partial water changes 2x a week (with Quick Start), those levels should stay at 0, right?

number 1 because Ammonia physically burns the fish at any level hence red gills red blemishes on fish

number 2 Because nitrite stops the fishes blood from carrying oxygen

number 3 because high nitrate impairs livestocks immune system

Well back in the day 10+ years ago when i first got into fish keeping i didn't know better and never cycled my tank. I guess the water was good because i had fish for along time with no problems not even need to add chemicals. I guess i got lucky back than, but know that i know its a must.

number 1 because Ammonia physically burns the fish at any level hence red gills red blemishes on fish

number 2 Because nitrite stops the fishes blood from carrying oxygen

number 3 because high nitrate impairs livestocks immune system

If you're levels are at 0 (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite,) none of the above has an affect on the fish, right?

I dont use those products mainly because the do more harm then good... I know with prime it only detoxifies, it doesn't remove it and after 24 hours it will re-appear. Basically you want to do a big Betta bowl.. I would just cycle the tank. It's much more cost efficient. You don't need to spend all that money on everything and your fish wont die.

Maybe I should clarify my main question. Why can't you just use the chemicals to keep harmful chemicals at 0? I've had one of my fish tanks for 1.5 years, never cycled. I just use de-chlorinator and Quick Start every time I do a partial water change. Water test a couple times a week, and they're always 0.0 ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Never any problems with that tank. What would be the reason, regarding the fish' health, that I should've cycled? After 1.5 years with no fish loss, what am I potentially missing from not having cycled the tank?

Quick start is only temporary. The fishes waste and extra food will build up causing the levels to grow after its been in there for a while.

Well back in the day 10+ years ago when i first got into fish keeping i didn't know better and never cycled my tank. I guess the water was good because i had fish for along time with no problems not even need to add chemicals. I guess i got lucky back than, but know that i know its a must.
Very Very true back in the day that was the case but the explanation for that is fish inbreeding alot of the fish back then where a pure blood line so they where incredible tuff even guppys and platies where recommended for new aquariums but now unfortunately they have been bred for more colour shape and size that there immune system isn't what it used to be, thats why tough fish recommended for new tanks these days are still what you find in the wild only captive bred

If you're levels are at 0 (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite,) none of the above has an affect on the fish, right?
Yes but maintaining them at 0 with out the bacteria will be a 24hour job fish pee all the time you dont water change all the time

Maybe I should clarify my main question. Why can't you just use the chemicals to keep harmful chemicals at 0? I've had one of my fish tanks for 1.5 years, never cycled. I just use de-chlorinator and Quick Start every time I do a partial water change. Water test a couple times a week, and they're always 0.0 ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Never any problems with that tank. What would be the reason, regarding the fish' health, that I should've cycled? After 1.5 years with no fish loss, what am I potentially missing from not having cycled the tank?
Thats because if your tank has a filter it has cycled it does it naturally and the tank only has to cycle once unless you over clean your filter or leave the filter unplugged for a few hours

The tank wouldn't need to recycle if you unplug your filter but yes your tank would have cycled by its self if you monitored it or not It happens and how often are you doing te water changes? There is know way you would have had 0 nitrates. Are you sure you did the test properly? Also what were you using to test your water strips or liquid kits?

The tank wouldn't need to recycle if you unplug your filter but yes your tank would have cycled by its self if you monitored it or not It happens and how often are you doing te water changes? There is know way you would have had 0 nitrates. Are you sure you did the test properly? Also what were you using to test your water strips or liquid kits?

I never unplug my filter. I do partial 25% water changes about 1-2x per week. I've seen my levels of ammonia grow to .25, but all my other levels have always been at 0. I've just attributed it to Quick Start. As soon as I got the .25 ammonia reading, I did a water change and added a little QS and it was back to 0, and remained that way.

I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit in the liquid drops, NOT strips. Pretty sure I'm testing correctly after 1.5 years and no fish loss and reading the instructions.

Well there's two types of cycling. Fish less and with fish. They both end with the same result. The point of fish less cycling is to create your be official bacteria and feed it amp is without subjecting your fish to temporary ammonia poisoning. By now your tanks have probably already cycled. When starting a new one though, cycle. Or atleast use bio spira or safe start which is specifically meant to cycle your tank with fish on it.

Personally, I'd rather use a filter than chemicals. I'll venture a guess my fish feel the same.

FashionD your tank is cycled and adding quick start is a waste of time and money. As well, if your showing 0 nitrates, unless your tank is very heavily planted, there is something wrong with your testing regimen or test kit.

FashionD said:
I know this may be a dumb question, but why is cycling a tank important? Why couldn't one just add de-chlorinator and Quick Start API to a fish tank at the beginning and with every water change? That keeps all the harmful chemicals (ammonia, nitrate, etc) away.

When I started my tank, I had no idea what cycling was, or that it even existed. So I just treated the water and threw the suckers in, I've had the tank for 4 years now, and while I had a few fatalities, it all worked out in the end. But I definetly wouldn't reccomend it, now that you know about it :)

Why cycle? To answer the question simply... because it's proven to help create a safe environment for fish. We want our pets to be healthy and unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom