Why do weekly water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ppm stands for parts per million. It's the unit we use to measure nitrate, nitrite and ammonia in our tanks using a liquid test kit.

Or electronic tests.

I love my TDS & pH meter. No more extra drops when I'm not paying attention!

Also if you allow your tank to evaporate. Over time the water will become more concentrated with nitrates, and other harmful substances like ammonia. Just topping it up dilutes it but doesn't get rid of them.

So do lots of people do WC 4-5 times a week. That seems very excessive to me. But I will stay doing to once a week. My fish are healthy and thriving.

I agree that's a bit excessive; so long as you aren't having any kinds of wild spikes in readings (ammonia, etc.) and the fish are acting okay, you can stick to once a week...I sometimes do a couple more during the week if I overfed a bit or if the fish just "look like they could use one"...you kind of get to know them...;)

But there have been some good points made in the thread -- the primary being that EVERYTHING in this hobby comes back to, and down to, the WATER QUALITY. Forget chemicals the companies want to sell you to keep your water in top shape, or medicines that are supposed to provide a miracle cure for something -- unless in EXTREME cases of emergencies, a water change can do more for the respiration and health of your fish than any chemical you can dump in the tank...

Also if you allow your tank to evaporate. Over time the water will become more concentrated with nitrates, and other harmful substances like ammonia. Just topping it up dilutes it but doesn't get rid of them.

This is something every newbie in the hobby learns, unfortunately, the hard way -- and I did too...

Your point is correct; just "topping off" doesn't substitute a water change as many think -- residue of the "bad water" is left behind in the remaining column/tank water and the only way to remove this is to replenish with fresh water after a change...

Back
Top Bottom