Why Doesn't the LFS Carry Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roundar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why don't LFSs carry ammonia? When I asked the guy at my LFS if he had ammonia( knowing it was a longshot ) he said no, followed by "Trying to start a cycle?" I just shook my head yes and he said "Just use food, it works, trust me." I know it works, but I think you're missing the point. You buy the food to put into the tank to wait for the food to decay to produce ammonia.:banghead:

More to the point though, if this is common knowledge at this point, why not just order a few bottles of ammonia and set it next to the other chemicals?

/rant. :rolleyes:

I think it is because most stores want to sell the high priced instant cycle products they have.

Much higher profits selling fish or bactiera in a bottle, just a way to make money and old school thinking. What they don't realize is long term success makes better for better customers and more money because alot of people abandon the hobby due to early failures and frustration.

Yeah I think they want to sell their products. I had to go to ACE Hardware of all places to get ammonia. You'd think they'd sell it.

Also because people often buy fish on impulse, along with all the other products to go along with it.

Selling someone a dollar or two of ammonia and telling them to come back in 4-6 weeks is probably not too good for business overall. (I'm sure that new dedicated fishkeepers would appreciate it, but they only make up a % of sales)

i believe its because its explaining the nitrogen cycle, people like instant satisfaction so telling the customer to buy a fish, use these products for so and so is more profit

they will keep having problems until they are smart enough to figure out to find out whats wrong instead of going back to the LFS and buying more and more products

Yeah that makes sense. I see lots of people buying tanks & fish at the same time. If they told them about cycling and to come back when it's done, they'd lose lots of business.

Yeah that makes sense. I see lots of people buying tanks & fish at the same time. If they told them about cycling and to come back when it's done, they'd lose lots of business.

Yep ... I agree, new fish owners do NOT want to stare at empty tanks waiting for it to fish-less cycle. Sell them the tank, the fish and instant cycle all at once! The new customer is happy ... until reality hits ... and the store knows that poor sucker will come back to buy replacement fish and other products to treat the remaining dying fish.

Because most LFS owners do not know about fishless cycling or do not believe it works (I've encountered both). Also they'd rather sell you fish every few weeks that keep dying b/c of trying to cycle with them, it's really sad and really makes me :mad::taped:

Another thing I don't get about LFS is....how can they stand to look at Bettas in a 2" bowl every day? I mean, really? THe poor fish can't even turn around or spread it's fins! Why not put them in a large tank with separators or something?! I could never work in an lfs and see that every day. :(

Yeah that's true, I'd expect that from a chain store. There is a LFS close to where I live that has a long maybe 60 gallon tank? & it has it divided into sections with plexi-glass. The betas don't like they hate life in there, unlike the ones in the cup.

I do know of some LFS that do help new fishkeepers cycle a little bit safer than that. They suggest only a small fish or two and frequent water changes for several weeks, possibly a test kit. A well understocked tank + frequent WC's can cycle just fine and keep the fish alive and healthy, it is done all the time, even if it is made out to be some kind of faux pas on the forums.

If the person declines though I've seen that they still sell them what they want, and I don't blame them for it. I don't see any organizations giving a subsidy to the LFS to keep their doors open.

I do know of some LFS that do help new fishkeepers cycle a little bit safer than that. They suggest only a small fish or two and frequent water changes for several weeks, possibly a test kit. A well understocked tank + frequent WC's can cycle just fine and keep the fish alive and healthy, it is done all the time, even if it is made out to be some kind of faux pas on the forums.

If the person declines though I've seen that they still sell them what they want, and I don't blame them for it. I don't see any organizations giving a subsidy to the LFS to keep their doors open.

No LFS would succeed if they made everyone cycle :nono:

Back
Top Bottom