Why is my Betta coughing this up and what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I have a little Betta that I am trying to nurse back to health right now. He lives in a pretty small place right now. (Probably about 1/2 gallon) I currently don't have anything bigger I can put him in but I am getting him a bigger tank with a filter and all that. (Long story) Anyways, I have been doing 100% water changes every day since there is no filter and he seems to be doing well. The only problem is that sometimes when I scoop him out with a jar so I can clean out his tank I'll leave the room for a moment and come back to find a strange little dark brown ball-like thing in the botton of the jar he's in. :confused: I can't imagine it's fish poop and it wasn't there before so I assume he is trowing it up. Is this something I should be worried about? I have had other bettas but I never noticed any of them do this. Of course, I have never had to do 100% water changes every day for a beta before. My Betta tank has a filter.

My question is what is this, should I be worried, what do I do about it? I am currently feeding him Omega One tropical fish flakes. I've tried to feed him OmegaOne betta pellets but he doesn't really like them. Should I be feeding his something else? Also, he only seems to de this when I am changing his water. Could he be doing it out of stress? He never acts overly stressed.

Here is a picture. It's the small dot on the bottom of the cup. Sorry, it's the best picture I could get. It's about the size of my Betta's eye though. Maybe a bit smaller.
65190-albums10000-picture41949.jpg

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

I think it is poop. Mine has poop that looks like that. I feed Betta Pellets.

Hopefully others will have some opinions as well.

Jana

I think it's just poo.

Hopefully, you can upgrade to that filtered heated tank sooner rather than later. I'm sure his healthy would improve.

Yes, I really do hope I can get that new tank soon. Thanks for all the replies, I'm a little less concerned now. I've just never seen a betta poop like that before. Then again, My other betta I currently have (Bruce) I have never really noticed his poop so maybe he does the same thing. I just thought it was kind of odd. Thanks again everyone, I can stop freaking out now. :)

Back
Top Bottom