Why is this still here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

causin trouble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
150 gallon planted tank CO2 ,UV light dual magnum 350 filters 1 charcoal 1 paper dual twin bulb full spectrum lights...

set up for 3 years ...had a issue with tank and bleach 4 months ago and ever since just cant get rid of this algae( ?) on bottom of the tank
put 6 flying fox in and is better but just seems to keep creaping back... clean tank vacuum once a week with 30% water changes had a real issue for a while but upped my CO2 and Kent fresh water plant nutrients helped a bunch.. all my water readings are posted under angel fish acting odd post in the unhealthy fish forum

Attachments

• mvc-006s_203.jpg
    mvc-006s_203.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 112
another photo

just on edge of glass only certain spots

Attachments

• mvc-007s_155.jpg
    mvc-007s_155.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 99
I personally would eliminate the charcoal it is absorbing the fertilizer you are adding. As to the angelfish, high nitrates? I didnt go hunting for your params. Sometimes algea grows around the edge because the light is sort of funneled down through the glass, and escapes at the bottom. Like a fiber optic cable. Of course it is also a good place for sediment ie fertilizer ie nitrates to collect. Do you have fetililizer added to your substrate? This would also be a good spot for all the ferts to combine with the light, low water movement, etc and create a problem. I would do an aggresive gravel cleaning around the edge where the problem is, remove as much crud as you can and, keep everything in check. It will go away unless there is an imbalance, then it will use it and come back.

It is hard to tell from the pic, but could it be cyanobacteria? Is it slimy and dark blue/green?

Also, if it is black and bushy then you might be having an imbalance between your phosphate and your nitrate.

Thanks TG I was gonna suggest Cyano but wasnt sure. Also I will add the Cyano has a definite smell, once youve smelled it it kinda get stuck in your memory, PEW.

Back
Top Bottom